Aquarium software

GaryG.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Middletown NY
Hello,
Just wondering what software most people are using? I'm making a list of things for my 75 gallon. With all the reading is done I still lost on a few details like do I have to use live rock or is live sand good enough?

Thanks
Gary

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Software? If you are referring to saltwater tanks i believe live rock is basically a must most of the time

GaryG.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Middletown NY
ok I was reading where it said 1 pound of life rock per gallon . kind of blows cause I was planning on building a background for mine. 2 eels 1 puffer planning on so far.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
For saltwater tanks you do not need live rock.. to save money buy base rock which is basically live rock that has been cleaned and dried. Live rock is better cause you have all sorts of creatures living in it alreadyet but base rock will do just fine it will just take longer for things to grow.. same goes for the sand if you can get a cupfull live sand from a friend or lfs all you need is that and regular sand

Reactions: GaryG.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
ok I was reading where it said 1 pound of life rock per gallon . kind of blows cause I was planning on building a background for mine. 2 eels 1 puffer planning on so far.
Your rock live or not will become live and it is your main filtration so the more the better

GaryG.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Middletown NY
Thank you so I do not need to buy pounds of live sand only a little bit and the rest will become live over time.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Yep... what I did was buy regular sand and I bought a clean up crew package from I believe it was GARF, and it came with the clean up crew and about 3 or 5 lbs of sand that came with all sorts of creatures

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thank you so I do not need to buy pounds of live sand only a little bit and the rest will become live over time.
Yes it will cycle over time, maybe post a thread in the saltwater section on cycling live rock and sand. I am not quite sure on it

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Yeah you can add rock over time. Dry base rock is always cheaper and will become live. Live just means there is bacteria on it, but live rock often has other little critters on it. Usually you buy some base rock (ugly pieces in the back/bottom) and add a few pieces of live rock. Buying live rock to mix in means you might still end up with some cool or unwanted organisms. You never know! That's the fun of it. Rock can be added over time as slowly as you want pretty much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store