Arapaima Pond Build

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks Pete, hope you are doing well. How many weeks still for the baby?

For the pond, can't wait for the testing. Still some weeks off though.

Cheers,
Luc

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
I am getting pretty confident that I can leave out the bio-media filters.
Using the two bog areas with enough plants in it, I think my filtration should run well enough to keep up.
Large solid waste stays out in the settling tank anyway, so if that works ok, then cleaning should also be minimal.
Will see it soon. Saturday the final work on sand and shaping of the walls before the liner can go in.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Some pictures of the drain pipe now set.
The release-valve attached, the pipe up to the settling tank done.
Next on the settling tank pipe will be a valve, then a T.
top of the T extended to top of the settling tank with a cap and small valve to release air.
the horizontal one going into the Settling Tank with a 90' horizontal elbow to force the water in circles.
Air-line to the diffuser next to it. Will get that one out of the ground next to the Settling Tank as well, not sure yet about the location for the air-pump.

This way I can clean to drain-pipe by opening the release valve and closing the Settling tank valve.
For the Settling Tank drain, this will follow the same path as the pond-drain, just next to it. Easy access and straight lines,
The space around the settling tank will be filled in with sand of course, supporting the walls and keeping it straight and steady.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Ok, the Settling Tank has been set.
Drain almost finished, then the other side's drains to do.
Tomorrow more digging, removing stones and putting in underlayers...

After that, we'll finally start to see the shape of the pond coming up.

21.jpg22.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Reactions: Matteus

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Settling Tank is all done, tomorrow I hope to finish 1half of the pond.

Clean out stones and sharp objects.
Equalize with sand.
Spray water to compact.
Finish back side with big enough rim to stand and put a concrete top with stones later.
Put foam and then old tarp.
If lucky, we can start rolling out liner sometime early next week.
Fix the bottom drain.

Put a rack together to support the liner while we finish the 2nd half of the tank.
Will then be supported with sand bags until we dig out the rest.
By next Saturday we should then be ready to transfer Mr. T.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Already getting much faster done than I hoped for.
Now finishing the back side, sharp sand already put as a last layer. Filled up all the gaps and we're almost ready to put in an old tarp as the protective layer.
Pictures. Bottom-drain now connected to the settling-tank. Looks good.

31.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg35.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Started for the bog-area, but first a couple of pictures on the pond. Pretty much finished up to the under-layer.
Now filling in the space under the settling-chamber with sand and water, slowly letting that sink and give full support around the bottom and sides.

After that put in the sand-wall between settling chamber and the back wall to form the bog-area.

41.jpg42.jpg43.jpg44.jpg45.jpg46.jpg47.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, quite a day work done. It really gets close, but will take some slower pace now.
Next week saturday nothing done for sure, I will be at home.
Only thing that might happen during this week is the front supports, concrete pillars that will help keep the wall ok and serve as base for steel pillars to hold up side and top netting. Top will be sunshade, likely the green fabric you see a lot here. Sides will be steel wire-mesh. And of course the front-drains for the 2nd settling tank.

But the saturday after that, we are hopefully ready to move Mr.T.
The second half of the pond will be faster, simply emptying all the sandbags from the old pond to shape the rest of the walls, some digging necessary as well to bring it to dept with the bottom-drain.
That sand will be used to bring the surrounding area up with a very slight slope to the top of the pond wall.

Where I first thought to keep the pond well under the top, I think now it will be at about 10cm below the top of the cement wall.
The bog area a bit higher, with part of its gravel above the water-line, rest under with maybe 20cm of water for guppies and fry that wants to get away from the big fish on the other side...

Brings me to another question:

STOCKING....YAHOOO..

Suggestions?

I have:
1 Arapaima.... Duh...
1 hybrid RTC

I am thinking of: giant gourami, datnoids, silver dollars...

From what I read somewhere, Arowana don't like bigger fish, but if it is possible, then maybe 2 or 3 Arowana.

Any other suggestions? No Pacu I think, don't think I have the dept for that at 1 to 1.3 meters (3 to 4 foot).
You can pretty much buy everything here in Thailand, so you think it, you name and post it here please.

Very happy today, seeing the finish line, can't wait to get over it...lol
Then start growing out more monsters...heheee

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

• Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store