Arapaima question..

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Hi! I am new here and I would like to find out if a 11'x8'x4' pond is enough for an arapaima. :confused:

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
maybe about 2 years! you need a pond maybe at least 20'x15'x4'!

Superlaz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
USA
Should be fine for a few years, but will need to upgrade down the line, or have Arapaima Ceviche ;)

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
IMO yes it will be good.

These fish do reach of massive sizes but it will not reach its wild max length. And i bet the pima you get will be much happier in your decent size pond then crammed inside somes small glass box!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
MHcblues119;5123270; said:
IMO yes it will be good.

These fish do reach of massive sizes but it will not reach its wild max length. And i bet the pima you get will be much happier in your decent size pond then crammed inside somes small glass box!
they may reach their wild max size because they grow continuously through their life and they can live more than 100 years! I think there are some bigger than 9' in Thailand that they use for breeding!

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, I live in Thailand, had an Arapaima swimming into our factory during the great floods of 2011/12..
With water withdrawing, he got lucky in a large storm drain where we found him...He was then about 90cm...
We built a pond for him and he is now close to 2 Meters!!!
Coming back to the OP's question.. Way To Small !!
Mr. T's pond is 10 x 6 x 1.20 meters.. And with his current length, he's still very comfortable, but he keeps on putting weight and length.

And to confirm HungDang's statement, yes, there's plenty of breeding and plenty of fishing lakes where you can try your luck on fishing Arapaima, Pacu, Barramundi, Red Tails, Gars..etc..
The biggest Arapaima caught to date was 10 Feet and estimated at about 450 pounds!
http://www.fishthailand.co.uk/catch_report_andy_harman.html
With lots of pictures. The lake he caught it is world famous.. Been there a couple of times Catfish fishing. Largest I've had was about 25 Pounds. Can only imagine how this guy has been struggling.

Cheers,
Luc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store