Are seachem alkaline and acid buffers safe for fry?

Katie Phillips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
TN
My tap water is around 6.6 and the ph level for the fry I'm wanting to hatch needs to be 7.0-7.2. Just wanted to know if seachem alkaline and acid buffers would be safe for fish fry. If not, what buffers would be? Thanks.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
One thing to consider is that the tap water pH will settle down a bot closer to neutral once is completely degases (overnight, or a feq hours in a container). If so, you would not need to adjust pH at all as you may be practically where you want. If your water actually settles at 6.6, consider yourself lucky. Many people would kill to have that water.
Playing at increasing or lowering pH as a routine, unless strictly necessary, is a lot of work, does not usually conduce to repeatable results, and ends being too much work and expense, and potential stress to the fish, than a benefit.
What kind of fry are you trying to raise?

Katie Phillips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
TN
One thing to consider is that the tap water pH will settle down a bot closer to neutral once is completely degases (overnight, or a feq hours in a container). If so, you would not need to adjust pH at all as you may be practically where you want. If your water actually settles at 6.6, consider yourself lucky. Many people would kill to have that water.
Playing at increasing or lowering pH as a routine, unless strictly necessary, is a lot of work, does not usually conduce to repeatable results, and ends being too much work and expense, and potential stress to the fish, than a benefit.
I'm raising Betta fry.

Katie Phillips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
TN
Do you think betta fry would be okay with a ph of 6.6-6.7?

alyciagordan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2023
Seachem alkaline and acid buffers can be used to adjust the pH levels for fish fry. They are generally safe to use, but it's important to carefully follow the instructions and monitor the pH levels to prevent sudden fluctuations. Additionally, it's recommended to consult with an expert or a professional in fishkeeping for specific advice on buffering options for your specific fish species.

MaureenJ

Feeder Fish
Aug 2, 2023
I have quite a few Bumble Bee and Maingano that I brought home as newborn fry from a farm I work at - I’ll be their nanny for a while… the water ph was too high so I added one peat pot from my garden supplies - in just over an hour it dropped from 9.5 to 8.4 and has stayed there for the past day. I’ll continue to monitor- I do have one piece of driftwood in there as well - with only about 10% plant material within the tank and floating duckweed. Transitioning this to a “dirted” tank . It has no leaf matter yet. Just wanted this perspective regarding the use of peat…
Only a 30 gallon tank.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I have quite a few Bumble Bee and Maingano that I brought home as newborn fry from a farm I work at - I’ll be their nanny for a while… the water ph was too high so I added one peat pot from my garden supplies - in just over an hour it dropped from 9.5 to 8.4 and has stayed there for the past day. I’ll continue to monitor- I do have one piece of driftwood in there as well - with only about 10% plant material within the tank and floating duckweed. Transitioning this to a “dirted” tank . It has no leaf matter yet. Just wanted this perspective regarding the use of peat…
Only a 30 gallon tank.
9.5 ph is very high but surprising, lots of African cichlids wouldn’t mind it although 8.4 is probably better. Peat is a lot more gentle than chemical buffers but a drop of that magnitude in 1 hour is quite a bit…you might want to take some out. Long term, putting your Africans into a dirted tank is a bad idea as the ph will continually drop to unhealthy levels for your African cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store