Are Water Changes Needed Even With Great Water Test Results?

pistonville

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
ARE WATER CHANGES NEEDED EVEN WITH GREAT TEST RESULTS?

I'm running a Fluval FX6on a 125 gallon tank with a total of 8 small cichlids in it (see signature). I have had the tank setup with fish for about 2 months and my water tests are all coming back pretty good. My most recent water test results was:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0

Do I need to do a water change if my water tests all come back good? I had been doing it every two weeks, but I'm wondering if I need to with the tests results I have. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for any help!

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
ARE WATER CHANGES NEEDED EVEN WITH GREAT TEST RESULTS?

I'm running a Fluval FX6on a 125 gallon tank with a total of 8 small cichlids in it (see signature). I have had the tank setup with fish for about 2 months and my water tests are all coming back pretty good. My most recent water test results was:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0

Do I need to do a water change if my water tests all come back good? I had been doing it every two weeks, but I'm wondering if I need to with the tests results I have. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for any help!
Maybe only do a water change every three weeks....or smaller water changes....

However, I would make sure my test kit is up to date.
Then try slacking. Lol.
It may be you are at perfect equalibrium with your system. Slacking off may bring those numbers up....but why test it out...and why risk it? It may be also that your tank hasn't cycled yet..such lite stocking.
I've known people who never did water changes.....ever. Their systems were so dialed in, they just added water weekly to make up evaporation. Their tanks were planted, and they utilized UV sterilization and they constantly filtered with carbon...but yeah, not a single water change ever.
I'm not suggesting that, but try and notn over think....you know the old saying, if it ain't broke.....

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have a ~260 gallon not including sump. I change my water ~45% every 4 weeks only because it's less work and effort than if I waited longer. The longer I wait the more vacuuming is required and I don't like the rotting java fern sometimes.

My nitrate is never above 5-10 ppm (but I think that's mainly since I no longer have my Lei). I agree with Boldtogether, just keep an eye on it if you want to slack off on changes. As your fish get bigger, that will likely change too.

Reactions: boldtogether

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
From my personal experience its up to you and depends on the fish you keep. I saw incredible growth rates as well as better coloration from water changes when i started doing 10% daily changes. From my understanding the fish can benefit from the minerals in the new water. I was only removing chlorine from tap water though.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I have the same size tank and filter with the exception of 2 Aquaclear 110s I run with the FX-6. I do once a week water changes regardless of readings. I just want the healthiest fish I can have and want to get good growth from them.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
If your water paraments are good, it means you are doing things right, so why change that?
Don't fix something that isn't broken.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've known people who never did water changes.....ever. Their systems were so dialed in, they just added water weekly to make up evaporation. Their tanks were planted, and they utilized UV sterilization and they constantly filtered with carbon...but yeah, not a single water change ever.
I'm certain the key here is plants.

I've been keeping fish, on and off, for about 3 decades. I am today, a better and more knowledgable fish keeper than I have ever been. Through those times my water change has steady increase. It is my personal belief that water change is the single most important factor in successful fish keeping. Sure, I hear accounts of people who have a particluar fish for years and years with maybe 1 or 2 w/c each year. I guess sometime a creature will defy the odds and survive conditions they shouldn't have. I believe that there are more molecular compounds that develops in aquaria than just ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.....science just hasn't discovered them yet.

Nowadays, I do 50% water changes every 3-4days. My fish have never been healthier, grown bigger, nor lived longer.

Reactions: kendragon

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if tests are good, I would say no to a point, you are adding water do to evaporation? other elements get concentrated. I agree with every 3 weeks to a month at the most.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I'm certain the key here is plants.

I've been keeping fish, on and off, for about 3 decades. I am today, a better and more knowledgable fish keeper than I have ever been. Through those times my water change has steady increase. It is my personal belief that water change is the single most important factor in successful fish keeping. Sure, I hear accounts of people who have a particluar fish for years and years with maybe 1 or 2 w/c each year. I guess sometime a creature will defy the odds and survive conditions they shouldn't have. I believe that there are more molecular compounds that develops in aquaria than just ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.....science just hasn't discovered them yet.

Nowadays, I do 50% water changes every 3-4days. My fish have never been healthier, grown bigger, nor lived longer.
I agree and I do practice frequent water changes as well....but there are a myriad of techniques employed from all over in regards to fish keeping. What works for some isn't practiced by others and vice versa. There are tried and true methods practiced by most and methods still undiscovered. There are also methods practiced todau that date back many decades.
To answer the question asked by the OP, there really can be an argument for not doing large frequent water changes.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
If your water paraments are good, it means you are doing things right, so why change that?
Don't fix something that isn't broken.
Hello; This implies that the tests we have are more inclusive than I believe they currently are. As stated by others there are things in a closed system (little to no water changes) that do not show up on the tests. How do you know if there is not a test for it. We open our tanks a bit with regular water changes. The water changes we do, even if often, do not come close to to most natural systems. In the end we get to run our tanks any way we want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store