Aro appetite

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So I have my new Asian. Had him 2 weeks now and colouring up really nicely. However I am concerned about how much he eats which is very little. Flatly refuses pellets so I put a couple into bits of mussel. He will take 1 maybe 2 small bits of mussel per feeding. He has taken prawn a couple of times but again only small bits at a time. In general I am not happy that he is not feeding as well as I would want. I have had a silver before and he would eat all day long. This Asian is picky. He would eat meal worms all day long but I am trying to get him off these as I don't want it to be his main diet so have refrained from feeding them for the last 4 days. Maybe he is sulking waiting for some meal worms, but he is not going to get them until he readily accepts other foods.
The aro is around 10" in length and sectioned off in a 2x4 end of a 9x4 tank with auto water changer. Only other fish in with him are 3 ray pups.
Am I being impatient or do you think he should have settled better by now? I did disturb his surrounding a few days ago when I removed one pup and cleaned the glass but that's all. Other than this he is left alone with minimal lighting. Always cruising looking for food but when offered he takes the first piece then just messes around with the second and most of the time ends up spitting it out.

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
two weeks is not very long , give him a little more time he will come around . i have found that my fish always feed better when there is a little competition for food . perhaps a companion or two that have the same feeding habits might get him more in the mood . sounds like you have a big tank maybe an option ?

Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
two weeks is not very long , give him a little more time he will come around . i have found that my fish always feed better when there is a little competition for food . perhaps a companion or two that have the same feeding habits might get him more in the mood . sounds like you have a big tank maybe an option ?
Yes I was thinking the same. I have some wide bar silver dollars that I may add in there but going to wait until after my holiday now. Don't want to make any changes to tank and not be around to monitor.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
I'm on the same boat as you Jim... Had mine (Asian) for about 2 and half months now and about 10" in length. Won't eat anything other than meal/super-worm and of course loves crickets... I've been trying for 3 days now to change up his diet, but refuse to eat anything other his regular diet of worms. Like Jim, I want him or her, to have a veritety of food..So does everyone. Lol. Once I had to starve my pbass for almost 6 wks to get it off of feeders. But he eventually gave up and ate! So here come another battle, FISH vs FOOD! Patience, it'll take time, like everyone says he or she will come around! Good luck Jim! I will need it too!

Last edited:
Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I'm on the same boat as you Jim... Had mine (Asian) for about 2 and half months now and about 10" in length. Won't eat anything other than meal/super-worm and of course loves crickets... I've been trying for 3 days now to change up his diet, but refuse to eat anything other his regular diet of worms. Like Jim, I want him or her, to have a veritety of food..So does everyone. Lol. Once I had to starve my pbass for almost 6 wks to get it off of feeders. But he eventually gave up and ate! So here come another battle, FISH vs FOOD! Patience, it'll take time, like everyone says he or she will come around! Good luck Jim! I will need it too!
Good luck mate, nice to know I'm not alone lol !!

Reactions: Dee eng

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
As others have said, I would give it some time. The good news is he's no longer a baby, so he should be ok as he's hold out , and hopefully will come around.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Just a quick update and info for anyone who finds themselves in the same boat.
Had the aro for 4 weeks now. He is now smashing into defrosted raw prawn and loving them. So will now start loading this with pellets. Also taking mussel and still giving the odd super worm as a treat. Guessing he is fully settled now.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Right on Jim! Funny mine just started to eat prawns too last wk. and loving them as well! Man, seem like we're exactly on the same boat! Hahaha well done my friend! Great job! High five! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store