Arowana - 150 Gallon Planted aquarium setup

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Update tank is doing well and so are the fish... Recently added an African Pike and removed the Redtail catfish and Oscar (Too Messy)!!!

Here is a video at feeding time...
You'll want to get rid of that pacu, as well. They're incredibly messy, and it will outgrow that tank in a matter of 4-5 months, if not less. They get quite aggressive when kept in confined spaces, as well. Most of your fish will be killed, and those that remain will lose fins.

RAPALA27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2014
Earth
www.youtube.com
I think the arowana dosent like bright lights because during the day he goes behind the log and behind the plants and sits there relaxing.... Comes out when i come home from work to feed him and then i guess swims on top all night when the lights are off..... Is this normal?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I think the arowana dosent like bright lights because during the day he goes behind the log and behind the plants and sits there relaxing.... Comes out when i come home from work to feed him and then i guess swims on top all night when the lights are off..... Is this normal?
Aros is a top surface swimmer so if the light only few inches from it then it won't like it, dimmer light would be better for them or raise the distance of your light to your tank up but again this might effect your live plants.

vinz

Jack Dempsey
Mine in a planted tank does it too. And so did my previous arowana in planted tank.

Aros is a top surface swimmer so if the light only few inches from it then it won't like it, dimmer light would be better for them or raise the distance of your light to your tank up but again this might effect your live plants.
Hmmm... my current one was swimming all day previously. Only recently did it go rest during lights on. It would come out and swim about all night once the sun sets, but the lights are still on. There has been no change to the lighting except to remove the "noon" of 4 rows of T5s to just 2 rows throughout. I'll continue to observe.

The day time resting behaviour also coincided with me removing some plants that was partially covering the opening of a "cave" below some wood. That said, those plants never really restricted him entering or exiting the area. It frequently swam through that space before. It is wide open from the other side as well. Those plants were not in a position to prevent it from resting where it is resting now.

vinz

Jack Dempsey
Try this. When you are at home during daylight hours, turn off the lights for an hour or so and observe whether it'll come out and swim actively or remain hiding. I'm going to try that on mine when I get a chance.

RAPALA27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2014
Earth
www.youtube.com
An update.. I now have 3 Peacock Bass, a Banjar Red Arowana, African Pike, Golden Catfish and a Silver Dollar... All fishing doing well however i cannot get the Peacock Bass to eat pellets they only accept and eat live gold fish.. Any tip

[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: dudefish82
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store