Arowana and carp

Pratosh

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Hey guys last week I putted a carp with my aroawana, both were doing fine except the carp is always shivering though Is taking regular pellets. Today morning I saw that the carps fins were torn. Is it aroawana attack or some disease. Thanks1444354102450-289422880.jpg

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Before anything else, any fish from the carp family live easier lives in cold water environment like ponds. Second, your arowana seems to be bullying the carp since his fins are fine while the carp (I am assuming the only other fish in your tank) has ripped fins.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Appart from the temperature issue (as mentioned above carp are cold water species) a single carp has no chance against an aro as it has no form if defence making it a very big feeder or a single dither fish at best , dither fish work best in numbers as its harder to pick out a single fish from a shoal spreading the aggression so theres less pressure on single fish. Your carp already has ripped fins do him a favour and rehome him itll save his life the aro won't give up battering it as theres nothing else to pick on in your tank , if you want tankmates for your aro go with something that can hold its own against attacks , cichlids , bass , catfish etc

Reactions: thiswasgone

Pratosh

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I had tried chichlids but it's not working the aroawana is getting bullied by them. So I tried the carp and it worked out. I guess it never has been attacked cause they were both under constant observation. Please suggest cause I wanna go to that unique carp

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
tropic with temperate species is a no go in my book, but you'll learn that if you keep him in there long enough. That aro is clearly beating on him if his fins where intact and are now ripped, regardless if you watched them or not. I've had plenty of fish get fixated on me watching them, then when I leave the room the fights take place.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
What size is your tank ? It looks like your aro will need more tankspace very soon so more fish might cause you problems in that tank , what filtration are you running ?

Pratosh

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
It's currently a 220 gallon tank but I plan to transfer it to a pond after 4- 5 months

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store