Arowana and filtration

CJW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hi I have a 225gal with 3 silvers in it. The guy at the LFS said that arowanas need good filtration so I put 2-fluval FX5's and 1 FX6. Is that going to be enough.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You will have to test water parameters, and see if filters are handling the bioload of the aro's. How long has aquarium been setup, and how large are the aro's.

CJW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I have had it going for about a month now. The aros are about 12". I show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate and ph is 7.4-7.8. I was a little concerned with the ph but they seem to be happy. My tap is from a well so there are no additives besides stress coat and stress zyme . They eat shrimp earthworms and crickets from time to time

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hi I have a 225gal with 3 silvers in it. The guy at the LFS said that arowanas need good filtration so I put 2-fluval FX5's and 1 FX6. Is that going to be enough.
You're already over kill with your current filtration, just keep up with WC and you will be fine!

digital808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
United States
You have enough filtration. My concern is that your tank may not be fully cycled yet. Being that it's a 225, it will take time to cycle it fully. Just keep monitoring your water parameters along with water changes and you should be fine.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
You're already over kill with your current filtration, just keep up with WC and you will be fine!
how dare u say its over kill! u can never have too much filtration! LOL xD

Reactions: raubiy

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Over kill could be the cost of the electricity/maintainance weighed against the added benefit. I wouldn't be running those three filters on my duce and a quarter, which is too small for three silver arowanas for life. An fx5 and an ac110 done, weekly water changes, substrate vacuuming, filter maintainance and responsible feeding. Added filtration at a certain point reaches a point of diminishing returns, doesn't replace the need for regular water changes and requires added unnecessary maintance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store