Arowana pricing?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
My LFS is selling a 2 foot silver who is pretty beat up for $90 while across town they have a slightly smaller jardini about a foot or a foot and a half for $180 I'm just wondering if these sound overpriced to you guys. Also should I snag the large silver aro if they will deal with me some? He's beat up and missing a few scales I just don't know how these guys heal and if he'd ever look like I'd want him to?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hell of a better price than my lfs. A 10" jar here is $288.50(odd number if you ask me), and any silver over a foot is $150+. And they don't go down on price even after they have the fish for a while. They have real nice jar right now they've had since maybe 6" probably a little less it's about 10 now. It's developed nicely, got some nice red, seems a little aggro. I'd love to have it if my tank were just two feet longer.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Looked at them both today again and they offered the jardini to me for 150 and he's at the full 2 ft mark easy, but he kills everything!!!! Plus I have a smaller jar now So I'm gonna steer clear of him but he's nicer then I thought at first for sure I think I mixed their sizes up he's worth more then the 180 easily and yeah I didn't think the silver aro was to bad of a price but in the condition he's in idk he's really ugly and lays on the bottom a lot so I'm not sure if he'd be a smart but on my end.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
Looked at them both today again and they offered the jardini to me for 150 and he's at the full 2 ft mark easy, but he kills everything!!!! Plus I have a smaller jar now So I'm gonna steer clear of him but he's nicer then I thought at first for sure I think I mixed their sizes up he's worth more then the 180 easily and yeah I didn't think the silver aro was to bad of a price but in the condition he's in idk he's really ugly and lays on the bottom a lot so I'm not sure if he'd be a smart but on my end.
Jar price is reasonable. As for the silver aro, plz people give these guys away for free all the time when they get too big. Silvers r mass produce, common, and get big fast.

Reactions: McPhish

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Jar price is reasonable. As for the silver aro, plz people give these guys away for free all the time when they get too big. Silvers r mass produce, common, and get big fast.
I mean I'd pay the price they want for the silver if he was in better shape and I think the jardini at the price their willing to sell him for is a good deal but I know what your saying it's kinda like how many silver arowana do you see at these stores at 3-6 inches supper cheap then they get big enough to where most people won't buy them and they wanna raise the price 5X what they were asking before

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
O
I mean I'd pay the price they want for the silver if he was in better shape and I think the jardini at the price their willing to sell him for is a good deal but I know what your saying it's kinda like how many silver arowana do you see at these stores at 3-6 inches supper cheap then they get big enough to where most people won't buy them and they wanna raise the price 5X what they were asking before
If anything it only drives away responsible pet owners.

LizardQueen

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 19, 2016
Tucson
Yea i have been struggling to find Gus a tank mate he WONT eat- the jerk. So I asked my local high end fish store and they said they would get back to me if they had someone bring one in for sale. FINGERS CROSSED I want another aro they are so fun

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yea i have been struggling to find Gus a tank mate he WONT eat- the jerk. So I asked my local high end fish store and they said they would get back to me if they had someone bring one in for sale. FINGERS CROSSED I want another aro they are so fun
Having a tank mate won't help. There's likely something wrong. Start a thread saying what your experiencing and details in the set up so we can help. And 2 aros won't get along. They'll fight for dominance at the top till one dies usually.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Having a tank mate won't help. There's likely something wrong. Start a thread saying what your experiencing and details in the set up so we can help. And 2 aros won't get along. They'll fight for dominance at the top till one dies usually.
This is only partly true I've seen many tanks where people have successfully house multiple arowana (silver and black arowana), however LizardQueen LizardQueen you haven't made it very clear as to what species of aro you currently have and like moe214 moe214 has already said a tank mate won't change things it might help if you filled everyone in on what type of setup you have or atleast what your attempting to feed your aro.

LizardQueen

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 19, 2016
Tucson
This is only partly true I've seen many tanks where people have successfully house multiple arowana (silver and black arowana), however LizardQueen LizardQueen you haven't made it very clear as to what species of aro you currently have and like moe214 moe214 has already said a tank mate won't change things it might help if you filled everyone in on what type of setup you have or atleast what your attempting to feed your aro.

I was under the impression silver aros did well communally as long as the environment was large enough- least that is what I have been told over and over. Its a 130 soon to be 300.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store