Arowana swam heads up/ Upside down

.ace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Well yeah, it says in the title, I feel bad losing my aro for being around 5 months with us, it's 7 inch long and a silver one, I actually have limited knowledge when it comes to fish or any aquatic marine species but let me tell you we had already bought 4-5 arows that had the same demise. Not only it is quite costy but the months it took for them to grow.

So .. I'm not exactly sure with our tank how much gallon it could give off, but my lovely arow's swimming is sonewhat spacious, I haven't feed him for 2 consecutive days because the store was close and I am unlucky to find other place. it's food were either guppies that lasts for 2-3 days while I gave my arow a worm thrice a day, and I am not sure if it's satisfied enough.

And this past days, noticing that my arow is being sucked up by the pressure of the oxygen, I already knew that my arow is probably at weak state, considering the pressure, it's not that powerful enough to suck it. I probably panicked a little, and came across 'here' at MFK, knew about swim bladder, so, what I did is re-cleaned the filter, re-filled the water (no chlorine), and cleaned the oxygen engine. The guppies were still there, and put my arow in my big laundry tub, put the oxygen there for some moments while I am cleaning the tank, then put it there again, I leveled the water a bit higher of its' height so it'll not swim upside down or heads up.

So ... I feel really bad for myself, I've done anything to save my lovely arow as what I've read here, yet I still dont know. Prayed that my arow could last, because its' showing resiliency to live, and I was hapoy, yet the next day? He swam heads up and some moments, saw my arow ... dead.

Can you please give me explanations,causes or whatsoever so the next time I try to buy an arow again, and I wont let those things happen again.

Feel really bad.

.ace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Well yeah, it says in the title, I feel bad losing my aro for being around 5 months with us, it's 7 inch long and a silver one, I actually have limited knowledge when it comes to fish or any aquatic marine species but let me tell you we had already bought 4-5 arows that had the same demise. Not only it is quite costy but the months it took for them to grow.

So .. I'm not exactly sure with our tank how much gallon it could give off, but my lovely arow's swimming is sonewhat spacious, I haven't feed him for 2 consecutive days because the store was close and I am unlucky to find other place. it's food were either guppies that lasts for 2-3 days while I gave my arow a worm thrice a day, and I am not sure if it's satisfied enough.

And this past days, noticing that my arow is being sucked up by the pressure of the oxygen, I already knew that my arow is probably at weak state, considering the pressure, it's not that powerful enough to suck it. I probably panicked a little, and came across 'here' at MFK, knew about swim bladder, so, what I did is re-cleaned the filter, re-filled the water (no chlorine), and cleaned the oxygen engine. The guppies were still there, and put my arow in my big laundry tub, put the oxygen there for some moments while I am cleaning the tank, then put it there again, I leveled the water a bit higher of its' height so it'll not swim upside down or heads up.

So ... I feel really bad for myself, I've done anything to save my lovely arow as what I've read here, yet I still dont know. Prayed that my arow could last, because its' showing resiliency to live, and I was hapoy, yet the next day? He swam heads up and some moments, saw my arow ... dead.

Can you please give me explanations,causes or whatsoever so the next time I try to buy an arow again, and I wont let those things happen again.

Feel really bad.
i had some typos but just put it in understanding, after i leveled the water, and arow's a bit fine, I added again more water (dechlorinated), and I also massaged my arow as what I've read.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Wow sucks bro! And welcome to MFK! There are so many question I wanna ask. You never mention anything about your water perimeters, PH, nitrate, ammonia level, ect... How often you doing water changes? These guys (Aro's) are very sensitive when they are young. One thing i noticed, you should never clean out the filter completely. What you did was clean out all your beneficial bacteria. Idk, I'm no expert hope someone else can chime in and help you a bit more. But I suggest getting a water test kit if you don't already have one.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Ya worst thing you can do when there is issues is completely clean your filters and start moving the aro around. Your stressing him out ontop of being stressed already and from the sounds of it you then kill all the benaficial bacteria to boot. Get a test kit so we can understand where the problem could be. Best thing you can do right now is 25% water changes twice a day, lights out for a week or so, buy a bottle of benaficial bacteria and dump it in and get a test kit. What are the dimensions of your tank? I'm not trying to sound like I'm shaming you here just so you know

.ace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Sorry I missed the part when you said he was dead. You need to make sure the tank is completely cycled before you buy another fish start with that
Tell me how can I completely arrange the tank, will you? I'm planning to buy a much more efficient oxygen machine, and a much better filter. And more of that, what should I add more and do more? I really miss having one now.

.ace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Wow sucks bro! And welcome to MFK! There are so many question I wanna ask. You never mention anything about your water perimeters, PH, nitrate, ammonia level, ect... How often you doing water changes? These guys (Aro's) are very sensitive when they are young. One thing i noticed, you should never clean out the filter completely. What you did was clean out all your beneficial bacteria. Idk, I'm no expert hope someone else can chime in and help you a bit more. But I suggest getting a water test kit if you don't already have one.
i see, thanks for further explanation. Like I've just said, I am no expert or in no fields about a really good set-up for a gallant care for arowana, Its plain simple set-up, an oxygen machin inside the tank, a dechlorinated water, a good ol filter and an aquatic background (I heard arowana is a bit sensitive therefore I didnt put any pebbles in the tank.). Thats it, what ypuve said is above my knowledge but i'll consult the owner where I buy my aro's food. I never knew I should completely clean out the filter, also which I've been doing for so long, and I also change the water once a month along with the filter. One guy said massaging the swim bladder (located at arow's abdomen) helps relieve and quickly soothe the problem, and it was pretty resilient the next day. 8 AM my buddy passed. I feel bad. And thanks for that also. I'd like to know what do you mean with "lights out"

.ace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Ya worst thing you can do when there is issues is completely clean your filters and start moving the aro around. Your stressing him out ontop of being stressed already and from the sounds of it you then kill all the benaficial bacteria to boot. Get a test kit so we can understand where the problem could be. Best thing you can do right now is 25% water changes twice a day, lights out for a week or so, buy a bottle of benaficial bacteria and dump it in and get a test kit. What are the dimensions of your tank? I'm not trying to sound like I'm shaming you here just so you know
Thanks for much more explanation. I will sooner, and will update you guys. I plan to buy another arow the next month or so, but I wanna know what could be the basic set (tank, oxygen, filter, etc etc) for a good set up of my arow buddy so I could prepare it first little by little. Im lucky I've reached this site. And please read my reply to dee eng, it shows ny explanation why I massaged my buddy. Thanks.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
i see, thanks for further explanation. Like I've just said, I am no expert or in no fields about a really good set-up for a gallant care for arowana, Its plain simple set-up, an oxygen machin inside the tank, a dechlorinated water, a good ol filter and an aquatic background (I heard arowana is a bit sensitive therefore I didnt put any pebbles in the tank.). Thats it, what ypuve said is above my knowledge but i'll consult the owner where I buy my aro's food. I never knew I should completely clean out the filter, also which I've been doing for so long, and I also change the water once a month along with the filter. One guy said massaging the swim bladder (located at arow's abdomen) helps relieve and quickly soothe the problem, and it was pretty resilient the next day. 8 AM my buddy passed. I feel bad. And thanks for that also. I'd like to know what do you mean with "lights out"
Your setup is fine. Make sure your water is completely cycled that is your main concern, and don't ever clean out your filter system completely, (sorry not trying to be mean) if anything rince it with the tank water. I fill up a 5 gallon bucket from my tank when I syphon just for that, to rince. Water change at least once a week, I recommend. They grow hella fast within the 1st year. Had one for 7 months, went from 3" to 16" in a flash. Had to sell it my tank wasn't big enough haha, sure do miss it though. Here's a pic. Good luck bro! If you have any problems we're here to help. Cheers! image.png

Reactions: smartlove_518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store