arrowanna not eating normally

drizzt04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
killingly ct
hi guys. i need to yous to answer a question.

i have an arro named draco. he is 18-20" long in a 125g with a 5" unidentified cat and a 3" jewel. he used to eat like roseanne. he isnt very interested in feeders, but i think he was just to lazy to catch them. LOVED silversides. i put my 18" clown knife in with him for a few days but that didnt work out. he was trying to bully the clown. i moved the clown back into his own tank.

now draco isnt eating very much. he only swims in one half of his tank. he will eat a few feeders when he gets really hungry, but only goes for the silversides once every couple of days. and even then he only eats a couple instead of the handful he normally ate.

his water is good. temp is fine. the tank was moved to in front of a window. he had green algae bloom, but that is gone now. i do regular w/c. i try for 30-50% weekly, if not it gets done bi-weekly.

i saw on another post about an oscar that i might be parasites. but i dont know how to look for that or treat it.

so now my question, what do i do to get my bro eating again?

thanks guys.

cantrells3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
california
Sounds to me like he is scared of something. Maybe him and the clown knife went at it too much. My aros are doing the same thing right now in my tank but its just cause I added a ray and they seem to be uncomfortable when he swimms up to the top of the tank. They did the same thing when I first added my oscars though and got over it in about a weeks time. Just keep offering good floating foods like frozen bloodworms. I know mine always eat them when they can.

drizzt04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
killingly ct
he isnt interested in floating foods, but i have been doing the silversides nightly. this has been 2 weeks now. thank you for your suggestion.

cantrells3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
california
Well I know its been a long time since you posted this but i have noticed that the arrows will eat market shrimp if you break it into pieces small enough for them at every chance they get. If your arrow is till being picky I would try offering him some of the shrimp.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
^not true, my RTG will not eat market shrimp.
Is it an Asian aro?
If so they are picky eaters so I've read. I'm having feeding issues with mine now it's getting big.
They don't eat for days at a time sometimes.
Something they usually go for is super worms but if it's never eaten them before it might turn it's nose up at them as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store