Asian arowana regulations/enforcement

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Does anyone know what government agency is responsible for the regulations regarding asian arowanas and other illegal fish here in the states? Who whould be knocking on the door if they thought you had one?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Does anyone know what government agency is responsible for the regulations regarding asian arowanas and other illegal fish here in the states? Who whould be knocking on the door if they thought you had one?
"this isn't for me, but a guy I know..."

I would assume a federal wildlife agent of some variety would be at your door, or just possibly your state's CO's.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Had a moron from another site drop a dime on me for pics I posted to the site. Back in 2004 I relocated from WA to MS and never thought to check the MS laws before moving fish. Turned out I had species legal in WA but, illegal in MS. The agents seized ~$4K in fish which they placed in plastic garbage bags because they didn't bring proper eqpt for transporting fish. Along with the illegal fish, they also took fish they "thought" were illegal. Everything they took died in the black bags they put in their trunk in 100+ degree weather.
I was looking at losing my hatchery, jail time, and over $100K in fines. I had some luck in that the agents threw the leaking smelly bag of evidence (they didn't even have pictures due to all agents forgetting to bring along a camera) in a dumpster long before my trial. The judge and my lawyer came to the decision that since there was no hard evidence other than written statements from the agents that the evidence couldn't be used as proof against me.
I got to keep my license and 'only' walked away with about $10 grand in losses (fish loss and attorney's/legal fees).
That event is what brought me to researching all of the Restricted Species lists in the pinned articles in the Marketplace forum. I don't want anyone else to go through what I had to go through.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Had a moron from another site drop a dime on me for pics I posted to the site. Back in 2004 I relocated from WA to MS and never thought to check the MS laws before moving fish. Turned out I had species legal in WA but, illegal in MS. The agents seized ~$4K in fish which they placed in plastic garbage bags because they didn't bring proper eqpt for transporting fish. Along with the illegal fish, they also took fish they "thought" were illegal. Everything they took died in the black bags they put in their trunk in 100+ degree weather.
I was looking at losing my hatchery, jail time, and over $100K in fines. I had some luck in that the agents threw the leaking smelly bag of evidence (they didn't even have pictures due to all agents forgetting to bring along a camera) in a dumpster long before my trial. The judge and my lawyer came to the decision that since there was no hard evidence other than written statements from the agents that the evidence couldn't be used as proof against me.
I got to keep my license and 'only' walked away with about $10 grand in losses (fish loss and attorney's/legal fees).
That event is what brought me to researching all of the Restricted Species lists in the pinned articles in the Marketplace forum. I don't want anyone else to go through what I had to go through.
Oh wow what a story! Well in a way the improper way of handling fish went your way at the end.

Honestly looks like overkill a search and seize of property(fish) is pretty insane.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
I posted the question because im forever seeing these places offering asian arowanas for sale with supposed microchipping and cites certificates. Just a research project for me when im bored. Im keeping my hobby legal and am actually looking for a black arowana and some of these same places claim to have them available. It seems it should be so easy to shut these places down with current technology. I already knew the kind of response I would get when I posted the thread. Thanks though.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
im 100% sure there is F&W game in this site and/or any other fish site that lurking around to catch the one who have it. So be very caution of what you post, and who you share pictures and information with.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
I posted the question because im forever seeing these places offering asian arowanas for sale with supposed microchipping and cites certificates. Just a research project for me when im bored. Im keeping my hobby legal and am actually looking for a black arowana and some of these same places claim to have them available. It seems it should be so easy to shut these places down with current technology. I already knew the kind of response I would get when I posted the thread. Thanks though.
Just because its microchipping and with cites cert doesnt mean its legal. All those can be fake as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store