Asian red tail cat a monster?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I believe its simply the size plus the aggression.

I don't think the catfish would bite through a thick glass tube of a heater but it will yank and jerk and spin around and will break the glass sooner or later. The same goes for other tank hardware - bubblers, hoses, filter intakes, etc.

(BTW this never occurs, I think, in very large accommodations. My two 1.5' wyckiis didn't damage anything in my 4000 gal 40'x6'x3' pond. Justarn's 1.5' wyckii has been ok in a 300 gal. But place them in a 120-180 gal, the story could be as described above.)

RTCs have been well known to simply swallow heaters and all that other tank hardware. Their aggression is hunger-driven. ARTC's aggression is territorially driven - no tolerance for foreign objects, alive or not, in their territory.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wow that is quite a statement in itself! But how come the ARTC is considered so much more problematik than it's sout american counterpart? Stronger bite? Or more active? Because there are video where a huge common tank with normal RTC and big aimara worked quite well. And like you statet, the SA RTC grows faster, so shouldn't it be the more problematic one?

Is amampa a sub species of the aimara?
Well, the South American and Asian rtc have no relation or anything in common other than that of a red tail, and the rest of the artc fins also get red unlike the sa one. I'd say their activity is the same imo, I've never had a sa one but my artc was fairly active during the day but much more so at night. Definitely a stronger bite, and the rtc is more problematic in the sense it grows faster and eats its tank mates whereas the artc outright kills them. And amapa is a variant of the species aimara, it's the jet black variant, than there's the Venezuelan one that is tanish-brown with black stripes, and a very rare one that I like which is a greyish-black with red hues or stripes, not much is known unfortunately, I believe only one has been brought in.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Maybe Moe214 can elaborate why he described the jaws of the hemibagrus catfish as specifically strong. The fact that they have to do damage without big teeth might be one factor, but this is the case for most catfishes.

Or is it just the bigger aggression of this species? On planet catfish there is a line where they say that the ARTC will even bite trough heaters, something i never read about the amazonian RTC or even bigger bagarius.
I say this because there has been cases where they've bitten heaters with even the metal guard and flattened it with one bite, now obviously these are cases that may be false, but I can tell you from my own experience, and you can believe me or not, no exaggeration I had a 14-15 inch gar with him and he made the rear end of that gar much thinner than it was without being touched, I wouldn't say paper thin, but it was really thin, nothing I expected, it took the chunks from my wolf no problem I had a breeding pair of convicts it ate and when it bit down on my male, his eye that was visible popped out and was hanging, I woke up to the noise of it biting down that night. Then the first day I got it I had 2 pictus catfish one was 7-8 inches and the other was 12, the 12 incher was the first fish he went after the moment he saw him shortly after being in the tank, chased him relentlessly, the next morning his rear end was stripped to the bone passed the adipose fin. Then I got rid of others after I lost some more, the wolf held out the longest he fought back, was the only one actually but at a size disadvantage and not being an aggressive fish in general he didn't fare to well, the only fish that survived was a foot long leporinus who he couldn't catch, he chased that guy a lot, that leporinus was a sneaky guy, he'd out run the cat and the cat would take breaks and rest in his spot and he'd go behind the artc and nip his fins as they're known to do. So I guess he was asking for it lol. But yea my tank ended up with the two of them and I kept them till the artc cat out grew the tank then I wanted to start over. I want another lep. Liked that guy but idk how one would do with my bichirs so I haven't gotten one, don't trust it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That was fun and educational to read. Nothing even comes close to the quality first hand experience. Thanks, Moe. Remind us how long have you had the ARTC and how big was it when you got it and when you sold (?) it?

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Ok but why do you came to the conclusion, that the ARTC bite is stronger then the SARTCes bite? They are both in roughly the same weight class, but the SARTC seems to be bulkier. Is it because of your observations or because of scientificly measured differences?

Because as stated above, obervations are very important, but the problem is, that the SARTC simply will not bite anyone to death, because this catfish either swallows or ignores tankmates. Then again, this might also be a hint, that the SARTC never developed a strong bite, because it does not use it anyway, so you might be right either way.

I know they actualy measured the bite strenght of piranha and the rhombeus came out stronger than even sharks in comparsion to it's size. Would be very interesting to compare the biggest freshwater predatory catfish as well, like ARTC, SARTC, Bagarius, Silurus Glanis, Brachyplatystoma Filamentosum, the african sharptooth catfish etc.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That was fun and educational to read. Nothing even comes close to the quality first hand experience. Thanks, Moe. Remind us how long have you had the ARTC and how big was it when you got it and when you sold (?) it?
Bare in mind that was my only one so it may be the exception, but it matches with everyone else's story pretty well so it leads me to believed me to be the norm. I had that fish from approximately January of 2014 to the fall of that year maybe September to October. I acquired the fish at 14-16 inches and when he left me he was touching front to back on my 120. I personally liked it, I wouldn't have minded dedicating a big tank to it, because I'm 90% sure it would use all the space I had gave him/her. It was active enough for me, and once it got big, I could have probably had a sustained colony of much smaller fish. My specimen was active, I enjoyed keeping him.
Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Ok but why do you came to the conclusion, that the ARTC bite is stronger then the SARTCes bite? They are both in roughly the same weight class, but the SARTC seems to be bulkier. Is it because of your observations or because of scientificly measured differences?

Because as stated above, obervations are very important, but the problem is, that the SARTC simply will not bite anyone to death, because this catfish either swallows or ignores tankmates. Then again, this might also be a hint, that the SARTC never developed a strong bite, because it does not use it anyway, so you might be right either way.

I know they actualy measured the bite strenght of piranha and the rhombeus came out stronger than even sharks in comparsion to it's size. Would be very interesting to compare the biggest freshwater predatory catfish as well, like ARTC, SARTC, Bagarius, Silurus Glanis, Brachyplatystoma Filamentosum, the african sharptooth catfish etc.
I came to that conclusion based off of what I deem as common sense, sartc seem to be more scavenger like, they have a bigger build like you mentioned therefore a bigger mouth with the wider head, unless wyckioides head gets the same width with the supposed extra foot they may attain in the wild, whereas artc seem more predatory, and with their aggressive nature, they evolved to have a more powerful bite based off of their behaviors overtime. I'm not saying by any means sartc don't have a strong bite, I wouldn't doubt one breaking a humans hand or maybe even removing it if it wanted to without much issue, but they don't put that power to use so over time they lose it due to not needing it, I could be wrong, they may have the stronger bite, but it makes sense to me that artc has a stronger bite, and look at its little cousin, go on YouTube and look at a wyckii bite a magnet or look at justarns video with his biting the Midas, you hear the power in the bite, you see the power in the bite, I just don't get any of that with the South American red tails. Like I said I could be wrong but in my opinion the artc has a stronger bite due to the fact it uses it more often than not, to where it became a necessity, hearing the wyckii bite down on nothing even in one of the videos you can just hear the power. It fascinates me, the way these fish can vary and that goes for every fish, its the reason why I want to become an ichthyologist one day. I love learning about them and discussing them. So to answer your question, based off of my observations on the nature, behavior etc., of these fish, I've concluded imo the artc has a stronger bite force. As you said the sartc shows no signs of usage to need a powerful bite, it's like a big vacuum, it just doesn't seem to need it, where as the wyckioides on the other hand, uses it quite a lot, the one I had decorated my tank I would change it just to watch him put the drift wood and move it wherever he wanted, up, down, right, left, any direction he wanted. He'djust use his mouth for everything, so it makes sense to have a strong bite. I would love to conduct an experiment of which you speak one day. Would be very interesting indeed to see the outcomes. I love oddballs, and I can't stay away from catfish either lol, characins, not all, and catfish, are my main interest as of now. Only thing with that experiment is if you have fish with different max sizes, and your viewing them the same size, it can be just like people, a teenagers muscle and a mans muscle is carried much differently, so that could effect results. Many variables can play into that, would definitely be a fun interesting experiment imo.

Last edited:

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Thx for your response moe, I picked up the aimara from Ruck fules on classified few days ago. It's 11" in a 100gal. I picked up artc 15" yesterday it's in 60 gal right now. I'm thinking about getting 240 and put both in there maybe add rtg? Now idk after hearing from you! Sounds like they both will be in their own tank. Only need advise from experience keepers
If you mean a Red Tail Gold (RTG) Asian arowana I'd not bother, the catfish will eat it or kill it

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Yeah i guess if one was to conduct such an experiment, you had to get each catfish at it's biggest size, compare the bite and then calculate the weight difference in. So you had to find 200 pounds ARTC, 130 pounds SARTC, 250 pounds goonch and 350 pounds silurus glanis and filamentosum.

I guess overall the silurus would put out the biggest pressure, small teeth and feeding on cray, but no idea who would be on top when the data gets correctly compared to the weight.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
so far so good. But for reasons stated above, probably gonna need to find it a new home. He swallowed a smaller pike, but otherwise is pretty chill. Pushy when it comes to digging his bed, but not like out chasing any of my fish around the tank.

20150913_180036.jpg

20150913_180039.jpg

20150913_180042.jpg

20150913_180101.jpg

20150913_180117.jpg

20150913_180119.jpg

20150913_180130_001.jpg

20150913_180133.jpg

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice to know and see, Ruben! We know this can be done short-term, esp. with smaller fish. Yours looks about a foot, right? How long has your artc been commed? I wonder how long this can be maintained.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store