Australian Arowana Jardini Saratoga Swimming Slanted/Sideways

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
Please help! My jardini started to swim slanted or not straight, I don't think this is bladder problems because it only happens for certain times. For example if i cover the tank in front he will swim straight but if removed he tend to be slanted. Is it the lights or window that's making him do that? Please help me identify what's causing it.

Here's some information that might help

Jardini Size: 8-10"
Tank: 130 gallon (6x2x1.5)
Tank mates: 10" Endli bichir & 5" clown knifefish
Water Parameter: all are good except nitrate which is about 20ppm

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
is he looking at his reflection :D cool !! not sure if he sees the reflection on the bottom of tank like it appears on the video but it does look like hes looking at it ?

EDIT ... ok ya never mind i just checked on one of my tanks no reflection just a trick of the glass when looking through side pannel lol

Last edited:

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
sorry i cant really help you out further with any experience with SBD . my silvers sometimes swim on there side if they are trying to get a better look at something or sometimes just as there getting ready to blot and jump or fly off at speed . but it does look a little strange what your guy is doing . i notice hes missing his barbels ? could this effect buoyancy ?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
if i could edit posts for a little more time i would have added this to one of my previous posts but i wasnt able too so sorry for the triple posting lol
anyway wanted to add , i was just now able to get my arrows to swim very similar to your jar by changing the current in the tank . i see your current in your second video . try changing it and see if it has any effect

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
if i could edit posts for a little more time i would have added this to one of my previous posts but i wasnt able too so sorry for the triple posting lol
anyway wanted to add , i was just now able to get my arrows to swim very similar to your jar by changing the current in the tank . i see your current in your second video . try changing it and see if it has any effect
no worries about the 3ple posting. :D
he does have a barbel. My jar haven't jump since i got him lol. Enlarge the video and look closely:rolleyes: you'll see the barbel.

Tried changing current but still no effect. It's like a weird habit of him.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I'm not sure that's swim bladder issue either , his barrels are slightly damaged when you look close probably due to rubbing on glass at some point , what sized tank was he in previous to yours ? It could be a habit he adopted whilst in a small tank as way of turning comfortably

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
I'm not sure that's swim bladder issue either , his barrels are slightly damaged when you look close probably due to rubbing on glass at some point , what sized tank was he in previous to yours ? It could be a habit he adopted whilst in a small tank as way of turning comfortably
I think it was 30 long. Can it be corrected?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've no idea tbh , maybe it'll correct itself once it works out its got more space to move around now

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Hope so too , keep us updated on any progress

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store