Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
View attachment 1169914
View attachment 1169915
View attachment 1169916

Took ur advice Frank Castle Frank Castle and picked up some inline carbon/sediment filters for these guys. Sadly this type of pre filter wont work for the rest of my fishroom but at only .5 gph for the Axos they'll last 6 months for $11.99, not to shabby. Still trying to piece together a carbon/sediment system to handle the 33gph i use for the rest of my tanks, but its a start. lol...
and that there device dechlorinates?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
and that there device dechlorinates?
yup...its full of carbon to remove chlorine, lasts for 2,500 gal or around 6 months with the gph im using... stadard r.o. units contain a sediment filter, carbon filter, resin and or a r.o. membrane. r.o. membrane is only needed for marine applications. most freshwater drips use a sediment/carbon/resin setup to remove sediment/chlorine/tds. Looking into getting a large fiberglass water softner type tank full of carbon for the rest of the fish room.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That is cool, I am just gonna do small frequent water changes and have floating veggies

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
You can get a chiller for the tank, or you can use fans to an extent, but idk if the drafts are good for them. I never did, I just kept my temperate species at room temperature and they did fine when summer rolled around. Water at room temperature is always cooler than actual room temperature usually by a good 10 F degrees.....don't use air temps as a comparison. Most basements are just fine for keeping amphibians ....the concrete walls are a natural insulator, my basement is always at least 10-15 F cooler that the rest of the house any time of year. You can even get it a few degrees cooler than that by placing the tank directly on the concrete/tile floor. The floor just has a tendency to suck the heat right out of the tank.
Have you seen any noticeable difference in water temps by moving to a screen top? The room where I keep my axies gets MOST of the daytime heat. Since the basement is not an option (I'd miss them too much and we just don't have the space for them downstairs) and I can't afford a chiller. I've been looking into other options of keeping their water cooled. Also do you have information on the low light level bulbs? ANY options that you know of would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Have you seen any noticeable difference in water temps by moving to a screen top? The room where I keep my axies gets MOST of the daytime heat. Since the basement is not an option (I'd miss them too much and we just don't have the space for them downstairs) and I can't afford a chiller. I've been looking into other options of keeping their water cooled. Also do you have information on the low light level bulbs? ANY options that you know of would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
screen top will help a FEW degrees, but not a whole lot, mostly just with evaporation. You could TRY it foor a few days before it starts to get really hot and weigh the results if u wanted to. I would just keep the tank out of the sun and put it directly on a concrete floor if possible...using the room's thermostat is also an option, and placing the tank in front of the vent maybe

As far as low light level bulbs, I'm not sure what you mean. UVB won't do much for them tbh, ID anyone who uses a UVB on Aquatic amphibians, but maybe it's just me. I think what I may have said in the past is IF........"IF" you DO decide to put a light on any temperate amphibian which needs lower temps, make sure it is a low watt, like 20 watts at the most. Less if possible.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Probably not a good idea for a light if you are having trouble keeping them at lower temps, TBH. try covering it with foil so the sunlight is reflected instead of absorbed. Black gravel absorbs sunlight as well as black or dark backgrounds. Stick to lighter colors that allow light to escape or reflect

Reactions: Hendre

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I got my two axxies about 8 months ago tripped over them at a local fish club auction they share a 3/4 filled 55 gallon with a sponge filter to keep the water still for them.

The tank is in my bedroom (basement) so stays in the mid 60's year round. I have just been useing dechlorinator during water changes like I do on my fish tanks. They have been eating night crawlers from my hand thus far with blood worms every few days. Think they are bored with them tho....

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
yup. i would have got one if i had money for a new setup and to cool the water (fans?) and to feed them proper food is difficult for me, plus axos cost a fortune here

Nj76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2016
Sin
yup. i would have got one if i had money for a new setup and to cool the water (fans?) and to feed them proper food is difficult for me, plus axos cost
yup. i would have got one if i had money for a new setup and to cool the water (fans?) and to feed them proper food is difficult for me, plus axos cost a fortune here
Agreed. Had the same problem when it came to feeding though there were many other obstacles to have healthy axolotls for me. Guess this time will take it slow and learn along the way as to not make the same mistakes. Very challenging pets indeed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store