Baby bichirs with semi adult bichirs

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
How do you successfully put a small bichir in with larger ones I've seen many post where people get away with it. How do you get away with it?

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Depends on the size difference, and I believe that lower jaws are more likely to cannibalise then upper jaws.

As for what helps make it work, keeping them well fed.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Hey Tyler..... in my case (as I'm sure not all cases are the same), I have been successful at putting much smaller bichirs with larger because:

-- I have a large group (bichirs do well in LARGE numbers)
-- I have had extremely agressive bichirs in the past....... when you have one of these, it will be obvious...... take it out & sell it...... or simply get rid of it.....
-- Keep them nice & full
-- Use garnet substrate..... PERSONALLY I think garnet (semi-precious stone) has a calming affect on bichirs.
-- Throw in a piece of driftwoof if you can..... again this makes bichirs happier......
-- Use LOW or HIGH lights...... bichirs WILL get used to brighter lights..... just takes time.
-- Bichirs tend not to cannibalize
-- You will have more problems in a baby grow-out tank where they are in their "nipping" phase.

Reactions: Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
Okay I have a 10 inch lap but it's quite friendly (I think it's a girl) but she's quite shy.
1. Is she a big threat?
2. I have 6 bichirs in there would that calm the aggression?
I have 3 bichirs in the grow out tank I want to add.
3. Should I rearrange the tank and do a water change before putting them in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store