Texas
Nice! That guy in the 2nd pic is very eager to feed lol

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
King-eL;2752841; said:
Very nice! Feed them feeder or train them to eat pellets. They will grow fast.
I have started feeding them bits of mysis shrimp as well as the bloodworms. I think that they may be still a little too small for live feeders. I tried cutting up market shrimp into really small chunks, but they were still way too big for them. I feed them twice a day and do a 50% water change every second day (they are in a 10g tank). I will be transferring them to the 50g tank with the baby rays (3") soon.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
careful wit the rays. they have to be big enough the rays wont eat them. and as for the main tank, the tank mates seem OK except for the severum. might want to rethink that guy

Thedaniokeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Small town near Toronto
beautiful fish...
Soooo adorable!

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
The rays are really tiny right now (3") but when they get bigger I guess there is a risk (the gars will be long but thin). I am watching my severum, if he gets too bossy I'll have to find him a new home. Right now he guards his spot under a large piece of driftwood but otherwise behaves himself.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
carcrazy;2755977; said:
The rays are really tiny right now (3") but when they get bigger I guess there is a risk (the gars will be long but thin). I am watching my severum, if he gets too bossy I'll have to find him a new home. Right now he guards his spot under a large piece of driftwood but otherwise behaves himself.

even when larger i wouldn't worry too much about the rays eating a gar...they may be of appropriate dimensions to be potentially consumed, but there is no way a ray is getting through their scales before digestion, and i would guess the gar would get away and the ray would realize they taste bad before it got the whole fish swallowed :) --
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i think someone has pics of a ray attacking a gar. couldnt eat it though. gar just swam away

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Oh, thanks, that's good to know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store