Baby Oscar only eats pellets

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Pellets are fine, stay away from live fish as Oscars are prone to HITH. Veggies are the way to go now....squeeze the inside out of a defrosted or cooked pea or lima bean, then when he gets bigger he will eat them whole. Plus they look just like pellets.

I feed my fish ONCE A DAY, btw lol. Sometimes I skip the next day if I give them a larger load of veggies the night before....gives 'em a chance to clean up the stuff they missed or were too full to finish.

Trouble getting them to eat new foods? Starve them for a day or 2....they won't die, trust me.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What does adding terrestrial based plant matter do for a fish, that by nature is designed to eat aquatic plant matter as a side dish?

Aquatic based plant matter, such as spirulina, kelp, etc is the way to go. Terrestrial based plant matter, especially uncooked, contains anti-nutritional matter, such as tannins, protease inhibitors, saponins, cyanogens, and phytic acid, which when consumed in excess can have a very negative effect on the growth & overall health of fish.

The heat from processing will reduce most of this anti-nutritional matter, but even then most fish can only digest & assimilate so much terrestrial based plant matter. All of this has been well documented in commercial aquaculture for many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Here are some pics of the baby Oscar. I'm concerned about the fish get stunted in growth if missed a meal or two. LOL

Oscar_1-08FEB2016.JPG

Oscar_2-08FEB2016.JPG

Oscar_3-08FEB2016.JPG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Fish don't become stunted by missing the odd meal. In nature feast and/or famine is a way of life. Power feeding only results in fat fish.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
What does adding terrestrial based plant matter do for a fish, that by nature is designed to eat aquatic plant matter as a side dish?

Aquatic based plant matter, such as spirulina, kelp, etc is the way to go. Terrestrial based plant matter, especially uncooked, contains anti-nutritional matter, such as tannins, protease inhibitors, saponins, cyanogens, and phytic acid, which when consumed in excess can have a very negative effect on the growth & overall health of fish.

The heat from processing will reduce most of this anti-nutritional matter, but even then most fish can only digest & assimilate so much terrestrial based plant matter. All of this has been well documented in commercial aquaculture for many years.
You're saying I should avoid a quick bath in the microwave to soften it up on the inside and just give it to them thawed in hot water instead?

I do peas, lima beans and romaine 2x a week, tops. The rest of their diet is shrimp, krill, pellets, flakes, etc.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You're saying I should avoid a quick bath in the microwave to soften it up on the inside and just give it to them thawed in hot water instead?

I do peas, lima beans and romaine 2x a week, tops. The rest of their diet is shrimp, krill, pellets, flakes, etc.
I think he is saying aquatic plants are a better alternative then terrestrial plants which would make sense as the only time a fish would eat a terrestrial plant is during the flood season

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Definitely reduce the feedings to only 1 or 2 times a day. As said above, skipping feedings for a day or too will spark a fish's interest in trying new foods.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
5 to 6 times is allot. It doesnt matter that the fish is small so his his stomach cut feeding to twice a day a few pellets each meal. Clean water is just as important, trust me that fish will grow fast over feeding is going to do more harm than good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store