Baby Oscar only eats pellets

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yeah, the problem is I am trying to get rid all my fish in that 75G before the Oscar is big enough to move in. I have six 7" discus.
You shouldn't have too much problem selling off full grown, healthy discus...unless your price is too high

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
There are currently too many people selling discus and the supply is way greater than demand. That's why it is hard to sell them while I do not want to give them away. They are high quality discus.
Here is the link to my auction on Aquabid. Maybe I should start posting them on here as well.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwdiscus&1455239215

BTW, I have been keeping discus for over 15 yrs and baby discus get to fed 10 times a day and 100% w/c daily when they are small, otherwise, they will become stunted in growth for sure.

I guess raising baby Oscar is a little different? I was going to put an auto fish feeder while I am at work. Now it seems it's not necessary? I drop two pellets in the tank before I head out to work in the morning and feed him another 2-3 pellets when I get home from home at night. It eats very little due to it's size.

Are baby Oscars farm bred or wild caught? Is Albino Oscar hybred?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Are baby Oscars farm bred or wild caught? Is Albino Oscar hybred?
Mostly captive bred, but they do sell wild specimens as well.
Albinos in Os, I believe, are just recessive genes

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
How would you tell the difference between wild caught and captive bred? I would assume wild caught must be more expensive than captive bred ones?

Is there any difference between wild caught and captive bred as far as size and temperament go?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW, I have been keeping discus for over 15 yrs and baby discus get to fed 10 times a day and 100% w/c daily when they are small, otherwise, they will become stunted in growth for sure.

Juvenile discus, just like any other juvenile fish have higher metabolic rates than adult fish, so they do require a few feedings each day in order to reach optimum growth. How many feedings will vary depending on calorie intake per feeding, and even vary among species. But no cichlid requires being fed 10 times a day, unless one is only feeding a "speck" of food at each feeding.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
My understanding is frequent and small portions of feedings for baby discus. People posted their process on raising baby discus. The baby discus grown huge with frequent feedings and daily large amount w/c.

I believe Discus is in Cichlid family as well.

I guess I would not need to do that for Oscar fish, huh?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I know a thing or two about discus, and yes they are classified as cichlids.

You might want to check this thread out.

http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/discus-questions.457777/#post-5554535

Those discus were fed 3-4 times a day when juveniles, all raised on pellets. The owner had approx 3,000 gallons worth of discus tanks running, and at that point had been breeding discus for 20+ yrs. (RIP Don)

No point in going 'round and 'round, you asked here, and now you know. What you do with that info is up to you. Good luck with your new O.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
32B, I think you are correct in that feeding your baby oscar a few tiny meals a day is fine, and being a juvenile fish, is probably better than one larger meal a day. As long as you're on top of water changes and your water parameters, all is well. Given you're a discus keeper, oscar keeping should be a snap for you.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
32B, I think you are correct in that feeding your baby oscar a few tiny meals a day is fine, and being a juvenile fish, is probably better than one larger meal a day. As long as you're on top of water changes and your water parameters, all is well. Given you're a discus keeper, oscar keeping should be a snap for you.
Well, I can only feed him/her twice a day during week days. I can feed more when I am home.

Now the baby Oscar is eating everything I dump in the tank (deep freeze black worms, pellets, frozen BW, BS, etc.) I have some ground beef mix that I feed to my discus. I guess I can feed it to the Oscar as well.

I do 80% w/c once every two days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store