Baby RES shell coloration

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Could have been some sort of shell rot or a bacterial infection. When you think somethings wrong DONT ever stop asking questions . I lost my diamondback terrapin because of water quality and my spiny softshell too . I currently have 2 res 2 Mississippi Maps and a Diamondback terrapin . But even when someone tells you your over thinking or to stop worrying don't stop unless you talk to an expert or a herp vet . Those are your pets . You have a right to always be worried ! But I'm sorry to hear about losing him !
I'm betting it was something bacterial. Just keep an eye on the others and if anything changes or they start acting sick or won't eat and bask a lot take em to a herp vet to be on the safe side . I lost three baby Mississippi Maps to unknown causes but before they died they started acting lethargic and wouldn't eat and then eventually ended up passing away .. I got them from reptile city . I think that may have had something to do with it too . Not sure. But yea if your worried about anything just ask around on redearslider.com .
yes I know this . Wasn't so intent on sending them to another site. Just said that Steve (the admin) is very good when it comes to turtles . Someone told him not to worry about the turtle and it ended up dying I told the person to avoid that ask more questions so he doesn't lose any.ore pets . They mean a lot to people I'm sure it really upset him to lose a turtle cause I know it hurt me when my softshell died . So if I think there's something wrong I'm gunna ask all kinds if questions. Just said that site cause that's legit mostly all they talk about is turtles so if anyone would know it would be them . Never said no one here knew anything about turtles but someone told him his turtle was fine and it died so they apparently didn't know or just didn't wanna tell the person what was wrong. I know I wouldnt wanna lose my pets.
I was the one who was helping him with this, there were no physical causes or symptoms to be concerned over, and the chances of it's death being related to the shell "issue" is rather slim. It's most likely internal, and that theory would be supported by the fact that this is the 2nd hatchling he has lost recently without any explanation, but thank you for your professional opinion - I can tell by your age you must have been doing this a VERY long time and have a wall full of degrees and accolades. Back to the basics they teach you early on, less than 20% of all hatchlings from any ectotherm survive to adulthood, we can increase that in captivity, but in a species as inbred and cross-wired as RES, good luck......the species is so inbred it could have died from heart failure, deformed organs, under-sized vitals, whatever. You name it, RES can have it wrong with them

Sorry for your loss, Troy. If it concerns you still, get a Vet to run a fecal sample, shouldn't be more than $40-$60 - if it is, shop around first. Internal parasite or Salmonella is a possibility but there's no way of knowing without running tests.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store