Back for more help

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Purchased an emerald crab two days ago placed it in the tank and it died within 6 hours of being in the tank. Not sure if I got a dud crab or its my water. Like I said this is my first time with saltwater so this could 100% be user error on my end but here were my water test results

NO3 >20ppm
NO2 0
PH around 8.0
KH around 80
GH 180

Salinity 1.026
Temp 76

The tank has live rock in it and I've had it for close to two almost three weeks. Last week my water test results were all over the place but were normal before placing the crab in. Could it be my salinity is too high? I know its on the higher side and I am in the process of lowering it.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
How did you acclimate it? Also whats your Nitrates since you say its greater than 20ppm or was it a typo?
My apologies they're less than 20 ppm that was a typo. I placed the crab in the bag it was purchased in for around 10-15 minutes to get the temp right then placed him in the tank. He looked fine for around five minutes and then he stopped moving

dallen2233

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
for salt, you need to acclimate him to the water not just the temperature. I use a drip line into a bucket; the crab/fish gets a chance to adjust to the water you have in your tank. The LFS will have different water parameters than your tank, such as salinity. You can find videos of the proper way to acclimate on youtube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store