BD Pup has sunken nose

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
One of my bd female pups has a sunken nose. It didn't eat today and I'm a little worried. Currently doing a water change but here are the results before the water change... Is it because of nitrate? Looks around 5-10 maybe 20...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I haven't tested my water in a long time so I can't remember the colors specifically but those nitrates look semi-high. I'd also maybe consider treating for IP's.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I haven't tested my water in a long time so I can't remember the colors specifically but those nitrates look semi-high. I'd also maybe consider treating for IP's.
tell you the truth i never really use my test kit until there is a problem.... I got this bd pup from vamptrev vamptrev i think around december. She was always a great eater. stubborn, but good eater. i dont feed it any live fresh water fish... I only feed Earthworms, Tilapia, and Shrimp for this tank because they are extremely picky. What are the chances of parasites? I will treat for internal parasites. IF it is parasites... my biggest bet is the tilapia... Hate that stuff.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
tell you the truth i never really use my test kit until there is a problem.... I got this bd pup from vamptrev vamptrev i think around december. She was always a great eater. stubborn, but good eater. i dont feed it any live fresh water fish... I only feed Earthworms, Tilapia, and Shrimp for this tank because they are extremely picky. What are the chances of parasites? I will treat for internal parasites. IF it is parasites... my biggest bet is the tilapia... Hate that stuff.
Any new additions to the tank in terms of stock or décor?

I'm not a ray expert I just know the dent is never a good sign so my immediate thought process is water changes, prime, and prazi-pro treatment round. That's the best I can offer until the ray experts get in here.

EDIT Do rays exhibit these symptoms with possible bacterial infections as well? My other thought process is now if you only feed frozen then bacteria is a bigger possibility than parasites for sure.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Any new additions to the tank in terms of stock or décor?

I'm not a ray expert I just know the dent is never a good sign so my immediate thought process is water changes, prime, and prazi-pro treatment round. That's the best I can offer until the ray experts get in here.

EDIT Do rays exhibit these symptoms with possible bacterial infections as well? My other thought process is now if you only feed frozen then bacteria is a bigger possibility than parasites for sure.
Yes... a new pup about 2 weeks ago. This tank was meant to be a growout tank for any pups i get... Thinking about it now... that is around the time it started to become like this. I also stopped using seachem safe in this tank last week because i ran out... I am currently using my sodium thiosulfate mix... which is normally used for all my tanks other than my ray tanks.. I will do a larger water change and then switch back to safe. And possibly take out the new pup... And treat for parasites.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yes... a new pup about 2 weeks ago. This tank was meant to be a growout tank for any pups i get... Thinking about it now... that is around the time it started to become like this. I also stopped using seachem safe in this tank last week because i ran out... I am currently using my sodium thiosulfate mix... which is normally used for all my tanks other than my ray tanks.. I will do a larger water change and then switch back to safe. And possibly take out the new pup... And treat for parasites.
with that info I say definitely prazi-pro if you have a new pup in the tank and the symptoms just appeared.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Dent in head and spots smearing like that are sure signs of severe stress. Most likely water params

Reactions: keepinfish

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I think you got some funky water over there. Have you tested gh, kh, and is your ph still bottoming out below 7?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Hmm I did a water test... And showed my results. Did a large water change. My ph is aroun 6.8-7 in this tank. It could be my nitrates I guess. No ammonia no nitrite just nitrate. I will buy a gh and kh test kit... Getting annoyed at my water....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store