Best importer/online stores?

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
I upgraded my tank and would like to get a couple new polys but I'm finding a really difficult time finding them.

I currently have:
9" senegal
8" endlicheri
7" ornate
4" beuttikoferi

I'd like to get a tuegelsi and a nice delhezi (all the ones I've come across are pretty blah with hardly any/incomplete/thin bands). Possibly a Nile as well, I'm undecided about that, but would probably grab it If I could find one and had the funds for it when I did.

Most of the places I'm finding online haven't been updated in over a year, so I never know if they are even still in business or what. I also am wary of ordering online. I like being able to see what I'm buying. I'd love a "WYSIWYG" sale but those are oddly hard to come by.

So, what places do you order your polys from?

Also, from a shipping newb, what is the process like? Do they ship to your home? Post office? What is the shopping few (generally of course, I'm not looking for an exact number more of an "over X amount").

Thanks so much! My LFS stopped ordering from a lot of the places that got in uncommon polys so it looks like my only other option is now online ordering :(

On a side note, anyone in New England (US) know any really good fish stores?

Thanks!!!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Probably the best for high quailty wild caught is Toyin at http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/West African stock.htm
He can be tough to get to commit time to you and it almost seems you have to pester him to get the order complete. He is very busy but worth the hounding if you want wild caught fish.

I also have liked the quality of fish from Jason at Aquatic Day Care,
http://aquaticdaycare.com/price-list
He can also be a challege to get to commit time but nice guy and nice fish.

The Wet Spot has a nice selection if you are looking for smaller polys and captive born fishes.
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

All of them can ship direct to you. The one issue.. You wont get actual pictures of the fish you are buying. They will likly send a cookie cutter picture they took to represent the batch in general.

Ebay also has sellers along with Aquabid. Hope that gives you a little to work with.

Reactions: jaws7777

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
getting fish shipped is relatively easy for the most part. There's 2 main types: AP to AP (airport to airport) or directly to your house. AP to AP tends to be the one that is more complicated (though not much more). However AP to AP is the safest as it has the fish in transit for the least amount of time (but usually costs a fair bit more). I would reccomend AP to AP as it usually ships regaurdless of weather where as to your door may have delays caused by weather. As far as AP to AP goes, you usually tell the shipper the airport you want it shipped to. Then you guys will pick a day and time. You'll have to then find the pick up office for whatever airline you use. (For example I always use delta so I go to the delta pick up office) then they'll have you sign your name and you take the fish. Sounds daunting, but once you do it, it's second nature.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Also for further explanation, if you get the fish shipped via postal you usually have an option of overnight, 2 day, or 3 day shipping. You can also request they hold it at your post office so you can pick it up rather than have it sit in a truck all day awaiting delivery to your house. Also prices for shipping are usually based on weight and type of shipping. If it weighs more it'll cost more to ship, and it'll cost more to ship if you chose over night rather than 3 day shipping. I'm always one to pay a bit of extra money to get my fish here quicker and with less stress applied so I usually pay more for the quicker shipping.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Also going along with Dr.B. If you choose other than a next day air shipment many vendors will not give you a guaranteed live delivery. Not meaning the fish wont make it, just more likely not to have any issues.

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
Thanks so much for all the info!

Wet spot was the vender that my LFS ordered from but they don't anymore unfortunately. I wasn't aware they sold to individuals (not really sure why it didn't occur to me).

I know of toyin but I could never tell from his webpage if he was still active or not. I'll give it a shot along with the others.

As for shipping, I think what is daunting is that the closest airport is an hour away, which is why I would prefer the other option. I would be fine with overnight shipping to my post office, then I can plan it to arrive on my day off.

There are only a few left that I want (i only have a 90 gallon so I don't want to overstock it.

Thanks again!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store