Best Silicone for resealing large tanks

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
So in a previous post I picked up a 250 gallon that turned out to be a 275 gallon for cheap since it just needed to be resealed from a small leak on one of the side seams.

I have cleaned out the inside and am to the point of getting ready to strip the old silicone but am still not sure of what the best silicone is to reseal the tank with.

With the research that I have done both on here and google I have come up with people saying GE Construction or GE 1 Windows and Doors, DOW corning 732 or 795, and lastly RTV 108 are the best silicones they use.

I am looking for some last minute advice on what your go to silicone is and any tips on resealing so I dont have a tidal wave waiting to happen!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So in a previous post I picked up a 250 gallon that turned out to be a 275 gallon for cheap since it just needed to be resealed from a small leak on one of the side seams.

I have cleaned out the inside and am to the point of getting ready to strip the old silicone but am still not sure of what the best silicone is to reseal the tank with.

With the research that I have done both on here and google I have come up with people saying GE Construction or GE 1 Windows and Doors, DOW corning 732 or 795, and lastly RTV 108 are the best silicones they use.

I am looking for some last minute advice on what your go to silicone is and any tips on resealing so I dont have a tidal wave waiting to happen!
I use Lock-tite....retails about $5 for 4oz. at your local Lowe's Home Depot......I go about 1 oz. per 2 feet.......typically the way I do it, a 4oz tube does about 6-8 feet of bead, then I just smear it in w/ a rubber glove and my finger. Don't be afraind to be generous w/ it on larger tanks.

You may not need to use as much, the seal is personal prefernence

Always begin w/ a level tank - you don't want the stuff to start setting while your tank is uneven.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I use Lock-tite....retails about $5 for 4oz. at your local Lowe's Home Depot......I go about 1 oz. per 2 feet.......typically the way I do it, a 4oz tube does about 6-8 feet of bead, then I just smear it in w/ a rubber glove and my finger. Don't be afraind to be generous w/ it on larger tanks.

You may not need to use as much, the seal is personal prefernence

Always begin w/ a level tank - you don't want the stuff to start setting while your tank is uneven.
Never thought about lock-tite. Have you done anything around my size with it? I think thats the part that I am nervous about since its not like its a 55 gallon. I have caulked bath tubs a million times so I know how to lay down a nice even bead but still nervous lol. And I feel like I should just start pming you at this point with all my questions frank!

ASI order it from Amazon I think it's about $12 for a tube. I won't use anything else.
And same thing with you have you ever used it on a large application and whats the typical cure time?

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Never thought about lock-tite. Have you done anything around my size with it? I think thats the part that I am nervous about since its not like its a 55 gallon. I have caulked bath tubs a million times so I know how to lay down a nice even bead but still nervous lol. And I feel like I should just start pming you at this point with all my questions frank!

And same thing with you have you ever used it on a large application and whats the typical cure time?
idk what you're so worried about - I used it dozens of times, largest was only a 120g, 60" X 18" X 24", but after I finished the rockwork, it probably weighed as much as a 250g with just water in it.......sucker had a bow in it that wasn't supposed to be there too, lasted 2 years like that before I broke it all down and sold it to a guy that wanted it for Caiman. B brandon from philly Held up just FINE. Silicone is silicone as long as it sys "Aquarium safe" is my main concern.....it's not a structural epoxy, it's simply a sealant.....the strength of it probably varies a few pounds and that's about all.

Cure time is 48 hours on the Lock-tite

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
idk what you're so worried about - I used it dozens of times, largest was only a 120g, 60" X 18" X 24", but after I finished the rockwork, it probably weighed as much as a 250g with just water in it.......sucker had a bow in it that wasn't supposed to be there too, lasted 2 years like that before I broke it all down and sold it to a guy that wanted it for Caiman. B brandon from philly Held up just FINE. Silicone is silicone as long as it sys "Aquarium safe" is my main concern.....it's not a structural epoxy, it's simply a sealant.....the strength of it probably varies a few pounds and that's about all.

Cure time is 48 hours on the Lock-tite

I use scs 1200 for any bigger tanks. Little more expensive but it's worth it in my opinion
Guess its time to just nut up already and commit. Trying to get this done on saturday To get this stage over with so I can work my filtration plan through

Iohn d.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2015
Guess its time to just nut up already and commit. Trying to get this done on saturday To get this stage over with so I can work my filtration plan through
Guess its time to just nut up already and commit. Trying to get this done on saturday To get this stage over with so I can work my filtration plan through[/QUOTE

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store