Best temp for Amazon Sword?

Alex562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks for the advice guys... I'm new to plants and want to get it right!

Alex562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2015
Any idea why my plants are looking yellowish like this... Is it because I need to get Flourish?20160129_185449.jpg 20160129_185456.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
That's a beautiful tank manu8! I still have the first (and only) amazon sword I ever bought. It's about 4yrs old. It started as a pethetic Petco/Petsmart plastic tube plant purchase. I made the mistake of planting it in a 10g with floramax substrate. It took forever to take off, but once it did, I had to rehome it. I'll never forget when I pulled it from my 10g, the root system completely took over the footprint of that 10g! I fluffed the whole bottom pulling it out.

It started out as this. The center/right plant:

and grew to this in about a year:

I run my tanks at 72-76F, but they can run hotter in the summer. I tried API root tabs once and used Metricide for CO2, seachem comprehensive and trace, but I'm sporadic with those.
Is that a Golden Apple Snail i see in your tank??? Im surprised it hasnt eaten all your plants down to the stem...

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Is that a Golden Apple Snail i see in your tank??? Im surprised it hasnt eaten all your plants down to the stem...
I bought one as a "golden mystery snail". I had a black and a gold in my 20L. They were constantly laying clutches of eggs under the lighted plastic hood on this tank. A big clutch of them hatched and I had dozens of the suckers! Gave some away and distributed the rest among my tanks. They never bread again and eventually died off or got eaten by my fish. They never did eat the plants I kept at the time.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i only remember ever owning a golden apple snail once and said never again...

Went to bed one night, woke up the next to a tank just full of stems lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store