Best tropical fish tank temperature?

TxDemb4theoilOligarchs

Banned
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2016
What temperature do you keep your tanks that use heaters at? Personally I've found that the colder my tanks are the more problems arise. Heat seems to be a good thing with tropical fish. Even 78 degrees seems to make the fish less happy.

Anything under 80 degrees and I see less activity among fish. I keep my tanks at 80-82 degrees and have had no fish loss and no disease.

TxDemb4theoilOligarchs

Banned
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2016
So depends on the species but 78-80F for maintenance tanks and a bit higher for breeders and grow outs. I'm a electricity miser, I don't use anymore than I absolutely have to.
I've always had issues with heaters actually heating to the set temperature. Even with good heaters I find if you want a temp above 80 you have to set it to 82 and if you want a temp of 78 you have to set it to 80. Always 2 degrees higher just to achieve the temp.

I just keep mine at 82 and it ends up being 80 which is fine. I don't think 82 hurts fish at all if it ever actually goes to that though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Depending on the species, I prefer mid 70sF, because at 82'F and higher, pathogenic bacteria can proliferate and becomes more virulent, faster , especially deadly acute types like columnaris which causes "duck lips".
But also because I live in the tropics (Panama), I see the water temps here (especially under the forest canopy) do not always get as high as one might think.
Certain species like Nandopsis haitiensus or Alcolapia alcalicus come from sun beaten areas where temps remain high, but these are exceptions rather than the rule.
When I lived in the northern U.S, I would unplug the heaters from in the fish room, from May-Sept.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Having a tank that was at 77 degrees for a decade now I can say I played with temps that's that's where most my fish like it. My Flowerhorn likes it hotter but it's just him he's just a little slower but when I try to breed them I'll higher temps or drop them but I've learned doing a massive water change will do they best for breeding.

I think 75-78 is ideal for most Central American fish. I am saying this because I mainly keep CA tish.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I keep my community tank fish unheated and temp is dwell with room temp from season to season like the temp can be low at 55~60 in winter, 70 in spring and up to 85+ in summer then down to 72+ in Fall and they still happy and breed like crazy in summer time lol. Don't under estimate of adaptation which built in every species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store