BGK tank mate question

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I have a 6-7 inch BGK in a 150. He's in a planted tank. Loves sleeping in the roots of my plants hanging in the tank. Am I able too pair chiclids with him of any kind? I have a whole bunch of room since it's literally just him, so kinda looking for options.
My LFS has a zebra pike I've been eyeing but he's about 8 inches, and I think he would try too eat the BGK nor do I know how zebra do in planted tanks

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I have a 6-7 inch BGK in a 150. He's in a planted tank. Loves sleeping in the roots of my plants hanging in the tank. Am I able too pair chiclids with him of any kind? I have a whole bunch of room since it's literally just him, so kinda looking for options.
My LFS has a zebra pike I've been eyeing but he's about 8 inches, and I think he would try too eat the BGK nor do I know how zebra do in planted tanks
Also saw a red mammon my guy had which I loved but not sure the temperament of them

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Pikes are aggressive and would avoid especially since the zebra as bigger than the bgk. Acara, geophagus and severums species can work.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How many geos and sevs could I do with a 135?
I’d say 6-8. duanes duanes

Reactions: duanes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I’d say 6-8. duanes duanes
Agree
And they would be also be geographically correct, so biotope and water parameter matches.
Neither the FH (not a legitimate species) , or jewel cichlid (African) are geographically correct.
I realize this concept may not matter to most, but whenever I see, non-geographically correct matches, I cringe.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Agree
And they would be also be geographically correct, so biotope and water parameter matches.
Neither the FH (not a legitimate species) , or jewel cichlid (African) are geographically correct.
I realize this concept may not matter to most, but whenever I see, non-geographically correct matches, I cringe.
Ok cool, and 6-8 geos and for sev should I keep it too one? Or do they like to pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store