Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Bichir advice

Discussion in 'Polypterus' started by XxPROTERRORxX, Jun 29, 2012.

1. XxPROTERRORxX

XxPROTERRORxX MFK Members

Dec 29, 2013
      I've had a Delhazi bichir for several months now. My pleco does suck on him some times and I just upgrade tanks so it won't happen much but how does slime coat affect bichirs. Also I'm feeding him shrimp pellets and they are omega one,any other good brand food recomendations. Thanks, Evan

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

2. MFK Ivan

MFK Ivan MFK Members

Apr 4, 2014
      As for the pleco,you'll have to remove it immediately if you find it suck frequently on the delh.(But the best is to remove it ASAP,who knows that it might actually do some damage to your delh)
      Common and bristlenose plec are fine but not the others.
      Plecos can cause death/infection(also leading to death)to bichirs cause their slime coat is like their main dish.
      Try hikari's massivore delite or sinking carnivore pellets.Actually any one of the hikari's will do.Fed mine with hikari's goldfish pellets.
      You can too try earthworms as bichirs can't resist the taste.
      All in all,varied diet is the best.
      Cheers. :)

3. mistahoo

mistahoo MFK Members

Jul 19, 2013
      As for food the above is great for them. It puts size on them too! Not all plecos can be kept with bichirs as they like the slime coat on them. They will eat at it and it causes health problems for the bichir. They become more vulnerable to disease that their slime coat usually protects them from. I have 3 baby bichirs and 2 pushing 12"-14" and all of them are getting along with my Albino BN L-144 and butterfly plecos. The plecos don't bother with my bichirs at all, but it's best not to chance it since you said your pleco is sucking on him. I'd remove either the bichir or the pleco.

4. Ramsey666

Ramsey666 MFK Members

Feb 9, 2013
      I dont recommend any plecos with bichirs, not even bristlenose or common pleco. i use to house a 7inch pleco with my bichir and occasionally white patches were seen on my bichirs. didnt want to take any chances and removed the pleco.

5. XxPROTERRORxX

Dec 29, 2013
      I try to give my fish as much food variety as possible. The pleco is just a common one and if it continues to suck on him in the 50 gallon, ill give him to a friend of mine whos got plenty of room. I knew it made them much more vunerable but i never knew they could die. Thankks very much for the great information! Evan

6. XxPROTERRORxX

Dec 29, 2013
      Yeah, so the white patches appear when they suck off the slime coat? And btw i love your profile picture!

7. Tahnimarah

Tahnimarah MFK Members

Jul 9, 2013
      My bichirs seem to like a variety of food items. Krill, shrimp, blood worms, tubifix, and flake.
      Id remove the pleco honestly.

8. MFK Ivan

MFK Ivan MFK Members

Apr 4, 2014
      The only plec that will work with bichirs as I mentioned : bristlenose and common
      I kept a bristlenose with my delh for 3 months or so and till now I didn't see my plec sucking off my delh's coat.
      The white blotches on my delh's head were probably parasites or rubbing on ornaments.
      So,no worries. :)

9. Adamrhh

Adamrhh MFK Members

Feb 20, 2015
      Pleco and bichir is like that nasty woman you don't want it

10. The Auratus

The Auratus MFK Members

Dec 21, 2014
      I've had brichirs togheter with bristlenoses for 1½ year and never had any problem with it.