bio-spira vs. squeezing filter pads

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
Does using bio-spira have the same effectiveness as taking a filter pad from an established tank/filter and squeezing out some of the sludge? [I mean would the filter pad method work just as fast?]

I was just curious, since a LFS owner was telling me about it. When i saw the price tag ($26), i was like - wow. lol. Any thoughts?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
mostlycichlids;993290; said:
Bio spira works as long as it is fresh and handled properly. Squeezing a filter pad is not going to do much if anything. Placing one in your tank for a month or so will definately seed the filter and get your cycle finished up very quick.
I have started tanks a lot by cleaning my other filters in the new tank. Works like a charm every time. The best thing I have found is to keep a couple of big sponge filters established and just use them to get new tanks going.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I keep so many filters running, I can transfer a filter or media at any time.

Lonewolfblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
ewurm;993404; said:
I keep so many filters running, I can transfer a filter or media at any time.
Same here, lol.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
ive cleaned my filter pads in a freshly set up tank(1 hour) and threw in 7 fish after the crap settled and never had a prob. but if i really want to make shure its cycled i will do the pad thing and the bio-spira.

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'll hook up some of my extra sponge filters lying around and let it "grow" a bit in my current tank, in anticipation of cycling another in the future. :)

Bio-spira commands such a high price. The only thing I could think of (other than its requirement to be refrigerated), is the fact that I heard was suppose to provide an "instant" cycle, as soon as 24-48 hours. Is that true? Perhaps speed is what justifies the hefty price tag. All these bio supplements and bacteria formulas just confuse me, since I hear it is hit or miss with some of the other brands.

I'm a little outdated when it comes to this stuff, but this was the first time I heard of claims of such fast cycling, which is why I am curious. But then again, im not too knowledge in the arena of instant cycling,as I use to cycle my tanks the by using a couple of feeder, which took weeks!

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
yes I agree with the guys above.... I usually jam pack my filters with bio media so if I buy a new tank I simply just take some media out from my established tank and add it into my new tank. Take the new media and add it on the old tank. The old tank always has enough established media to keep water quality perfect. It is just like a monthly cleaning.

For the new tank I add fish the next day and have never once had even the slightest cycle.

salsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
In Your Imagination
I have an extra cycling filter. Its a penguin 350 and I hook that up to a new tank and run it and the new filter whiel cycling. When done, I just put it back on my 75.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store