Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Biting Worm

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by >:(, Apr 3, 2008.

1. >:(

>:( MFK Members

Nov 5, 2012
      Has anyone ever run into anything like this?

My sister and her boyfriend have two baby red ear sliders which went into an old tank of mine about a month ago. Well, my sister decided she wanted to redo their tank, so she got some of my old gravel which I had washed in boiling water and then put out in a bucket in case she wanted it. The gravel was left to sit until today when my sister took it and poured it into the tank. These long stringy white worms swam up from the gravel and when my sister's boyfriend reached in to get the plants out of the water, the worms bit his arm up.

I have no idea what they are, all of my searches keep turning up results for planaria. I haven't seen the worms, but from what my sister says, they're at least an inch long each, thin, and apparently vicious. Any ideas?

2. 2004exrider

2004exrider MFK Members

Nov 20, 2011
      Manbearpig? but on a serious note, maybe the larva of a "Biting Midge". They're know to suck the blood of people or other animals.

Jimmy

3. Oldmano

Oldmano MFK Members

May 1, 2008
      Biting midge larvae don't grow an inch long do they?

4. Fish Eat Fish

Fish Eat Fish MFK Members

Aug 29, 2014
      sounds like a tall tale to me...I highly doubt the worms could distinguish his hand and decide to attack...

is your sister older???

sounds like somthing I would tell my little brother back in the day if I wanted to keep him away from my tank.

5. drgnfly829

drgnfly829 MFK Members

Apr 22, 2014
      not sure but i've pulled leaches off a turtle before, they were black though....

6. scubasteve06

scubasteve06 MFK Members

Nov 28, 2010
      Ringworm roundworm???

7. pendog66

pendog66 MFK Members

Jan 3, 2011

lol thats great i was thinking maybe bigfoot

8. >:(

>:( MFK Members

Nov 5, 2012
      lol No, this is my younger sister.

I actually went to her house today, and they showed me the remains of the "worms" after they bleached the you know what out of them. They weren't an inch long, more like half an inch.

I guess what happened was that the worms were wiggling around in the water, my sister freaked, and her boyfriend reached in to get the plants because she was yelling at him to do it. The worms just happened to be near his hand and went for him because he was touching them. I saw the rash on his arm, so something did bite him, whether or not it was the worms, I can't say.

9. MommyJulia

MommyJulia MFK Members

Mar 14, 2015
      That just sounds gross...I would have probably freaked too. It's one thing to have your own fish come after your hand but to have these weird worms wiggling around sounds disgusting.

10. Oldmano

Oldmano MFK Members

May 1, 2008
      Sounds pretty gross, I would have gotten a full doctor examination by now.