Black Friday/Used tank opinion

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hey guys with black Friday coming up does anyone know if all of their tanks are 50% off? I saw the add and it said up to 150g. That'd be $330 for the 125 ensemble.

I purchased a used 125 gallon and stand last week and I didn't inspect it as good as I should have. Paid $300 for it and the stand which is in good shape. However, there are a few cracks/splits in the black plastic trim along the top and bottom.

I'm thinking about buying a new 125 with the black Friday sale at petsmart if so and trying to sell this used one i got for what I paid or close to it.

I filled the tank up tonight outside on the stand and there was no leaks or any bowing at all. The tank cleaned up nice except for the cracks. There are 2 in the back and 1 small one on the front.

If it held water no problem, is it really worth the hassle or should I just keep it? Not sure I can sell it around here. Sucks I just now saw this ad :/

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Whoa....... Start over and read your post. You left a lot of information out that may help your ramblings make sense.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Lol ok.... So
Bought a used 125 and stand. Stand in good shape. Tank has 3 cracks in the top and bottom plastic trim.

Filled it with water tonight and it held. No leaks, no bowing. No issues whatsoever it seems.

Petsmart ad for black Friday looks to have all tanks up to 150g on sale for 50% off.

Wondering if it'd be worth the hassle to get one on sale if they're actually going for 50% off and try to sell the used 125 I bought.

I didn't inspect the tank as good as I should have. I paid $300 for it.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Lol ok.... So
Bought a used 125 and stand. Stand in good shape. Tank has 3 cracks in the top and bottom plastic trim.

Filled it with water tonight and it held. No leaks, no bowing. No issues whatsoever it seems.

Petsmart ad for black Friday looks to have all tanks up to 150g on sale for 50% off.

Wondering if it'd be worth the hassle to get one on sale if they're actually going for 50% off and try to sell the used 125 I bought.

I didn't inspect the tank as good as I should have. I paid $300 for it.
$300 for a 125g and stand in good shape, yeah not great, but good, is a fair price and I think you probably made out ok....but it doesn't have that new tank sparkle...
My question would be, and I'm all about construction....what is the construction on the used tank versus a new tank from Petsmart? It has been my experience, and I will never buy another Aqueon tank ever, the tanks sold en mass tend to be thrown together and made from thinner glass and crappy silicon. I have never seen a tank at Petsmart that had clear silicon let alone properly tooled silicon....they all look sloppy.
I bought a 180g Visio tank with beveled and polished edges for under $300 and built the stand for around $100...paint included. The point I am trying to make is, just because it is cheap, doesn't make it a good buy.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
This is a perfecto/Marineland tank also. Good build quality from what I see. Learned my lesson on buying used. Inspect better!

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Looks like I'll be trying to fix the tank with some epoxy on the 3 cracks. Petsmart doesn't carry the 125 and can't ship to store apparently. They just go back and bring what's in Stock to the front. That blows. Can't afford to get an entire new tank for the new tank price either.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Nevermind: Found a petsmart 2 hours away that has 2 in Stock. I'm hoping to get there before they're gone. Gonna sell the other to our local lfs hopefully. They buy tanks and see seeing what they can offer for it. Something is better than nothing. Really excited if I can get there before they sell them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store