Black Pipe Stand

Zhewitt04

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
Does anyone know if black pipe could be used a material to build a aquarium stand? For a 6ft 125 gallon tank. Want a open stand concept for storage and such.
Thanks

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Does anyone know if black pipe could be used a material to build a aquarium stand? For a 6ft 125 gallon tank. Want a open stand concept for storage and such.
Thanks
I have seen it done...but thats an expensive stand!! I wouldn't go less than 1 1/4"....and I would flange the feet...it will be easy to level...lol.

Zhewitt04

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
I don't think I am doing this I was more curious if it could be done. I thought it might be cheaper. I wasn't going to go real high with it. I was thinking more of a grow out tank with area underneath for storage.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
The thing about using iron pipes is that the fittings end up getting really expensive. If you go price it all out, a stand that's something like 6'X2' and 3' high would be over $300 I would bet. For example flanges that you would use for the feet end up being about $6-10 each depending on the size. For 1" pipe, and if you have 8 feet (every 2 feet) then you end up with 50-80 bucks just for the bottom flanges, not to mention all the T's and elbos.

I built a large computer monitor setup using iron pipe and I saved over $150 by welding everything. Unless you're doing something really basic, welding it is definitely the way to go, not to mention depending on how you build it, you may not be able to thread all the fittings.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
You can get flanges for 3 or 4 bucks a piece. And unless you have something to thread the cut ends, you will need to weld it. Or go with weld fittings which are kind of pricey. But you would really only need 4 90's. 1 1/4" pipe is what I would use too. 21' is the standard length for black pipe, one piece should cost between 40 and 60 bucks. You would need 2 of them. I don't think it would be horribly expensive if you can weld, but 2 x 4's or cinder blocks would be cheaper.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Seems like steel square tubing would be better than round black pipe.
The round profile of the pipe doesn't give you that much contact with the bottom of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store