black sandblasting sand OK?

Fishermoe14

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Minnesota
well.. if u want.. u can wash it.. lol

i washed the sand multiple times the first time..

for my 2nd bag i just poured it strait into the tank and changed out the water again.. lol

it was a new setup thou.. no fish yet..

kentwo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
Hawaii
Fishermoe14;2747924; said:
well.. if u want.. u can wash it.. lol

i washed the sand multiple times the first time..

for my 2nd bag i just poured it strait into the tank and changed out the water again.. lol

it was a new setup thou.. no fish yet..

Wash it? Got it, didn't think of doing that. :ROFL::ROFL:

I read somewhere that the coloredquartz took a while to get cleaned.

Fishermoe14

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Minnesota
kentwo;2749834; said:
Wash it? Got it, didn't think of doing that. :ROFL::ROFL:

I read somewhere that the coloredquartz took a while to get cleaned.
when i say wash i mean rinse..

but yea it takes a while to get it coming out crystal clear...

i did put it straight into my 125 thou.. all i did was pour it in.. stir it up a bit.. then did a 90% water change.. it was a new tank thou.. so no fish to mess up..

Nyquil Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
USA
the problem with black beauty sandblasting media is that you really have no idea what they put in that batch. Some of it is fine slag from heavy metal smelters, and all kinds of nasty stuff.
Just wet a bucket of black beauty or a similar type black sandblasting media and let it set for a few weeks then smell it.

If you want sand that is too heavy to make a cloud of dust, use coarse pool filter sand. it also does not compact like fine play sand.

WHITE quartz play sand is nice but its very fine stuff.

If you want black, its worth the money to get clean black aquarium sand.... being cheap often gets mighty expensive.

I use a sandblaster to clean engine parts, and I can tell you, every bag has a different odor to it and that tells me, its produced from lots of different stuff.

You can buy real high grade black ceramic blasting media that is really nice stuff, but its more expensive than black sand sold for aquariums.

I wouldn't dump it in my fishtank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store