Bloated tig

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Well I took the tig out put in a Epsom salt bath for 2 days yet still it can't digest the mussel

It's such a shame I had to lose such a great fish to prove my findings about sea foods

But tig owners feed sea foods at your own risk
I have had this tig over 10 years and this is the first time he has had mussel
He's not gone yet but he's getting fatter even without more food
It's only a matter of time before rotten food in its gut poisons him

image.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Its really sad to see such a magnificent fish suffer this way...I wonder if any organs are swollen as a reaction to some substance within the mussells?
Perhaps you could contact a vet and see if something could be administered to cause the fish to vomit?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Maybe even take him out and try to get him to manually vomit

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have had this with a few tigs in the past but they was all below 12" which is why I stated not to feed sea foods to tigs below 12"
I have grown 2 or 3 to about 20" without sea foods
I honestly think they just can't handle the salt like other fish
This one used to get the odd prawn every now and then if the rays missed it
We will have to see how it goes
But it's still acting totally normal which is the strange thing
In the final stages with the smaller ones I lost they started to get swollen in front of the dorsal fin then they started spinning

Even more crazy was even when the small ones was spinning they was still feeding even when they was upside down

The fish is over 10 years old as I got it at 7"
Over 10 years is still young for a cat unless it's holding eggs

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If he is still feeding, Epsom salt is ~100x more efficient administered through feed.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How about a mouth enema?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If it was in his stomach, he would have upchucked it already. I think it passed into the intestine (hence, only "reachable" by Epsom)... or, as T1 speculated, it may be eggs? Usually female fish eat a LOT when they are producing eggs and T1 said the tig was pounding the mussel.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If it was in his stomach, he would have upchucked it already. I think it passed into the intestine (hence, only "reachable" by Epsom)... or, as T1 speculated, it may be eggs? Usually female fish eat a LOT when they are producing eggs and T1 said the tig was pounding the mussel.
I see.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Worth dropping the guys at London aquarium an email or call and see if they've got anything up their sleeve to administer? I spent a few weeks there years ago behind the scenes, nice bunch of people. Nothing to lose

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store