Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Blood Parrot Growth Rate

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn, Blood Parrots and Other Cichlid Crosse' started by baxtor_lex, Dec 18, 2009.

1. baxtor_lex

baxtor_lex MFK Members

Matt Colman (Facebook)
      Dec 18, 2012
      How long does it take BP's to grow to a 6" size?? and when will they stop hiding im finding it extremely irritating never seeing any fish in such a big tank??
      Same growth question about "kirin" parrots too?? anyone have a Flowerhorn X parrot?? what are yours like??
      thanks guys

PICT0089.JPG

2. TwistedPenguin

TwistedPenguin MFK Members

Mitzi
      May 30, 2015
      They're shy fish, any amount of research will tell you that. If you want an outgoing 'extroverted' fish you're probably out of luck.
      I've had my 3 Blood Parrots over 2 yrs, it took about a year for them to get to 6" from juvies. The 3rd one never did grow much and is still a runt

3. baxtor_lex

baxtor_lex MFK Members

Matt Colman (Facebook)
      Dec 18, 2012
      i knew they were shy, i didnt actually want this type of fish.... but now im stuck with them im embracing them..

i read so much conflicting info on them, thats why i thought id just ask on here

4. TwistedPenguin

Mitzi
      May 30, 2015
      Well if it makes you feel any better mine will come darting up to the front begging when they see me reaching to open the lid to feed them. They're in a 6' tank with some Plecs so there's no real competition and it's a dark tank.

5. baxtor_lex

baxtor_lex MFK Members

Matt Colman (Facebook)
      Dec 18, 2012
      thanks.... its just frustrating to have a fish i dont want, then i cant even watch them... i would love a flowerhorn instead, but as far as i know, there hard to come by here in the uk.....

so do parrots ALWAYS hide or is a age thing??

6. TwistedPenguin

Mitzi
      May 30, 2015
      It took several months of settling in before mine would come out when I was around. I think they must be pretty intelligent as far as fish go. Because mine won't come out at all when it's my husband or son in front of the tank. They either recognize me or recognize that I'm a giant food bag.

7. baxtor_lex

baxtor_lex MFK Members

Matt Colman (Facebook)
      Dec 18, 2012
      hmm, i agree. they're definatly brainy, im considering rehoming...... im never going to settle with them...

but im SO picky when it comes to fish, i like size, but i dont like you average JD, sevs, gt, all that stuff.... wanted something abit different....

i feel so unsatisfied with these parrots....

i love my kirin parrot though, but even he's started hiding more... i dont know :(

8. vfc

vfc MFK Members

Yesterday at 3:54 PM
      Although your tank picture is blurry, it looks like you may have a blue reflective background.

Try changing it to a natural plant background. My Blood Parrot hid for weeks when I had a blue background. When I changed it to a natural background, the BP was out in front of the tank within an hour and is now always up front swimming around. I assume he feels safer knowing he can dart into the weeds if threatened.

PB243719.JPG

PC143827.JPG

9. baxtor_lex

baxtor_lex MFK Members

Matt Colman (Facebook)
      Dec 18, 2012
      its surprisingly black haha, but i will defo look into getting a new background after christmas :)

10. baxtor_lex

baxtor_lex MFK Members

Matt Colman (Facebook)
      Dec 18, 2012
      oh and v-nice tank you have there!