Bluegill Question

Coot

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2022
Hi everyone, went to my local reservoir and noticed it had been drawn down, stranding and killing a lot of fish. I also started to notice some of the small puddles left behind had fish swimming around in them. Ended up grabbing two juvenile bluegill out of a little pool about the size of my hand to put in a tank that’s been sitting empty. Anyone on here keep them in the past? I’m wondering how they are with plants. Can they coexist, or will they be constantly rearranging the tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Don't know about the plants but may have a territorial issue but that depends on the aquarium size.
Bluegill needs a tank size of at least 50 gallons. As for plants, I think it could be a hit or miss. Bluegills are vegetarians, so probably don't put delicate plants in there. But if you put hardy, fast growing plants they should be fine.

Coot

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2022
Don't know about the plants but may have a territorial issue but that depends on the aquarium size.
I mostly meant coexist with the plants. I know some larger fish like to uproot and rearrange. That’s a fair point though. It’s a 60 gallon, which is big enough for one, but two is probably a stretch. Just going to cross that bridge when I get to it. They were both going to be dead within a day or two otherwise. They’re only 1.5 inches or so for now

I was originally planning on planting that tank and would still like to if the bluegill won’t take it upon themselves to redecorate as they get bigger

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
They are know to eat plants as part of their diet as needed. I suspect it depends how hardy and fast growing the plants are and how well they are fed as to how well they will co-exist with your plants.

Coot

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2022
Bluegill needs a tank size of at least 50 gallons. As for plants, I think it could be a hit or miss. Bluegills are vegetarians, so probably don't put delicate plants in there. But if you put hardy, fast growing plants they should be fine.
I do have a big enough tank for at least one. I take it by vegetarian you just meant they like some plant matter in their diets right? Bluegill will eat pretty much anything that fits in their mouth that makes the mistake of moving in their presence. Minnows, insects, worms, aquatic invertebrates, etc. They’re aggressive feeders. I like that idea though. If I try it, I’ll stick to hardy, fast growing stuff.

I never intended to keep bluegill. This tank has just been sitting empty waiting for me to find one of a few different species I’m interested in, but can’t seem to find. Couldn’t resist grabbing them when I saw them in that tiny puddle. Hopefully it works out

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Coot

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2022
T
They are know to eat plants as part of their diet as needed. I suspect it depends how hardy and fast growing the plants are and how well they are fed as to how well they will co-exist with your plants.
Thanks, hoping to find someone who has tried it before, but may just have to try it and see what happens. Sounds like hardy plants are going to be a must at the least

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I feel like having just two of any sunfish species together isn't the best of ideas because they like to school together, but they may also fight if there aren't very many of them. Just my 2 cents, my only experience is keeping maybe 8 or so of them in a giant plastic tub as a teenager.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store