Boring

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I think Mikefallen13 is right on. For a "wet pet" type fish like an oscar, flower horn, midas, severum, etc. The tank is all about the fish, so the tank itself is super basic with minimal decor, because it has to be.

If you want a display tank or a planted tank, it's all about the 'display'. I've mastered neither. LOL!

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Me I like my solver dollar and barb 80 gallon love the activity as for personality I have a 7 inch comet in a 50 breeder by himself and he is a real wet pet looks cool the bigger he is getting

Reactions: FreshyFresh

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
To me, a true "wet pet" is that large single fish that interacts with you and has some personality. Oscars definitely fit that bill as well as Red Devils, Midas, flowering, etc. I had a Synspillum who was very interactive. He was always watching what was going on outside his tank and I swear he would watch tv lol. He would rush the glass when I put my face to the glass at one end of the tank. And then rush to the other end when I would go to the other end. When he saw me feeding the other tank in the room he would start doing his tail wagging dance in anticipation of being fed. The fish that just sits at the bottom in a corner and doesn't come over to see you when you come up to the tank isn't a true wet pet to me.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
To me, a true "wet pet" is that large single fish that interacts with you and has some personality. Oscars definitely fit that bill as well as Red Devils, Midas, flowering, etc. I had a Synspillum who was very interactive. He was always watching what was going on outside his tank and I swear he would watch tv lol. He would rush the glass when I put my face to the glass at one end of the tank. And then rush to the other end when I would go to the other end. When he saw me feeding the other tank in the room he would start doing his tail wagging dance in anticipation of being fed. The fish that just sits at the bottom in a corner and doesn't come over to see you when you come up to the tank isn't a true wet pet to me.
That seems like a good description of a wet pet. Now you're making me want one!

Reactions: Frank Castle

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
I had a bunch of fancy stendker discus...

Found them terribly uninteresting and they seemed "dumb" to me. Perhaps their skittishness. Swapped them out for a single fahaka puffer. Now that is a interesting "pet", I have enjoyed him far more than the thousands of dollars in discus, but they were very pretty! Just not my thing.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Here's the way I look at it. Many commonly kept fish are pretty boring and really aren't at all interactive but can make for an awesome looking display tank, a look I personally prefer. Now don't get me wrong, I do love fish with personality, I have a flowerhorn that's really fun and interactive, but his tank is so boring otherwise! It seems that it's hard to make a visually appealing display with many of the big S.A cichlids because they love to rearrange everything to their liking. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just haven't seen many tanks with S.A cichlids I'd want as a display tank in my living room. I guess I personally like the aquascape design and visual appeal of a tank more than the personality of the fish in it.

But obviously, it's all down to personal tastes!
I can make ANY tank a centerpiece, IDC what kind of fish, or tank or size or whatever. :) I still like Africans, it's just....well, when you have SA/CA , Africans don't hold a candle to them.
I agree. For me though anyone that comes over loves the big fish and they ask questions. With my Africans everyone asks what kind of goldfish they are
LMAO My buddy asked me that about my Red Devil last week, I was like "Goldfish?....no, dude...that's the Piranha-Killer"

Reactions: Skalper666
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store