Bowfin in NJ

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Hello,

My son has just gotten started in fishing, saw a picture of a bowfin and now wants to try to catch one. Does anyone know where some good spots to go for them and what's the best bait?

Are they active most of the time or should I go at a certain time of day? Is this currently a good season to catch them?

It's been about 20+ years since I fished but since he's interested it would be a nice trip.

Thanks in advance.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Can't help you on the location ideas but I was catching them last week on small sunfish in 5' of water in Lilly beds but that was in Minnesota.

I'd suggest some time before 10:00 and after 5:00.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Can't help you on the location ideas but I was catching them last week on small sunfish in 5' of water in Lilly beds but that was in Minnesota.

I'd suggest some time before 10:00 and after 5:00.
that's ironic you picked those 2 times.....that's what I always tell people for summer months......cuz you REALLY DON'T catch much between 10am and 5pm lol maybe baitfish and panfish, but that's about all

Reactions: davenmandy

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Crank baits will work well. You can slab fish for them too, filet a sunfish or small bass. I would suggest fishing where there is some sort of a mudline or in muddier water if they aren't common in your area. It's hard to find em around here. Sharpen your hooks, and some will suggest a steel or nylon leader, though I have fished for many toothy species and never found the need to use one (do lose them every now and again but it's a sacrifice for hooking up more in my opinion).

Reactions: Frank Castle

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I'd add that when we cut the stomachs open of them they were filled with crayfish and small sunnies. If you can get a bag of plastic crays and soak them in a gulp marinade or another fishing scent bath it should do the trick if it's legal in your area.

Reactions: davenmandy

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'd add that when we cut the stomachs open of them they were filled with crayfish and small sunnies. If you can get a bag of plastic crays and soak them in a gulp marinade or another fishing scent bath it should do the trick if it's legal in your area.
you eat Bowfin?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Nope. Minnesota law says you can't release rough fish so I just put it in a community freezer after gutting them.
WHAT???!!! r u serious??? What does MN consider "rough fish"? Technically panfish would be classified, but forcing people to kill something is a violation of civil rights and we saw that ended quickly in PA with the Flathead cats. Native Americans especially being deprived of ther rights in that instance. Our heritage and religious beliefs forbid us from killing anything we are not going to eat or otherwise use to aid in survival

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
WHAT???!!! r u serious??? What does MN consider "rough fish"? Technically panfish would be classified, but forcing people to kill something is a violation of civil rights and we saw that ended quickly in PA with the Flathead cats. Native Americans especially being deprived of ther rights in that instance. Our heritage and religious beliefs forbid us from killing anything we are not going to eat or otherwise use to aid in survival
I didn't question it. All the locals told us to chop them in half and leave them on the bank or put them in the community freezer otherwise we could be fined.

Joecatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2016
As a lifetime MN Angler, that is completely incorrect about the wonton wasting of roughfish. In fact from my understanding it would be illegal to disregard fish remains on the shore. There would be no reason whatsoever to blatantly kill a "roughfish" other than invasive carp (Bighead, Silver, Grass).

I have heard several old timers cite this false sense of MN law as well. Please know that this is not current! (im unsure if it ever even was). I personally think killing "roughfish" like Buffalo, Redhorse, and Bowfin only helps to increase the numbers of common carp in most of the lakes and rivers in MN. If you are able to cite any source from the DNR regulations that demands or encourages the wonton waste of "roughfish" please go ahead ad post, I have looked several times and have never found any such notice.

I have only caught a few Bowfin in my life (never targeted them but found a few places im going to try) and they are an awesome fish, please don't waste them.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store