Bowfin in NJ

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thank you. I will definitely put any information that you provided to good use. Will they go after nightcrawlers or lures?

One the NJ map i'm just seeing on spot up by morristown and the rest in south jersey. If bowfin isnt the best for a 6 year old is there any other suggestions for the central jersey area>

Thanks. It's been about 25 years since i've fished and he's gone 4 times but i'm hoping to catch enough that he catches something (or at least doesn't blame me for not catching anything).

Would light tackle salt fishing be better to start.

Thanks ahead in advance. We are both newbies to this. With all he time spending playing hockey, baseball, and football i cuts into the fishing time (and i'd love a bowfin and american eel for my tank....just gotta read up to see if that's legal).

Thanks again.
http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN582...597&qpvt=Tip's+hardware,+Long+Beach+island+NJ

These guys at Tip's Hardware (and tackle shop) were great and very helpful for us when we were there last. It's right on the Bay about 1/2 mile away and the channel/bay/seawall offers great Surf/Shore fishing even for those with short rods that don't cast as far. Jst tell them what you want to target, show them your rods and reels and they will get you sorted out

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Where are you located? I've stopped at 4 but never saw any. Almost took some Jade Gobies at 10 bucks a pound that looked as good if not better than any I've seen at LFS. The tank they were in, though overcrowded, looked good. Was so close to picking up the 2. I'll have to wait for tuesday.

Can i quarentine in a 5 gallon bucket for a week with water changes, aquarium salt, and an air stone? Jade gobies are my top 3 fish of all time but i'ive never done it before. Any meds i'd need?

I figured i'd need to do the same thing if i get bowfin.

I apologize for bugging you with all these questions. I want to treat the fish well, and I really think it would be a nice experience to bring home the first fish that my son cathes (if its not a sunny).

Thanks again for everyone's help as always.
I have no idea about jade Gobies and can't answer this, but I am actually not in NJ, just used to fish there.
i'll make sure to help him with the reeling. i think we are doing a light tackle to start. low blue fish to start but a lot of the other stuff you mentioned. i just want him to catch something

do they provide rods of marine fishing? everything i have is freshwater
IDK if they RENT rods and reels or not, but we used to use a combination of heavier saltwater tackle and light to heavy freshwater tackle as well. We were actually catching the Bluefish on Ultra-light Trout tackle w/ 4lb test for small streams LOLOLOOLOL

Mostly long-distance casting w/ the 7'-12' heavy rods & lines and using smaller ones for closer to shore and lighter lures and smaller presentations, all the while we had several hand-lines and traps set for crabbing too

You can EASILY find a couple heavy duty Surf-casting rods at Wal-Mart for under $40 each, probably half that if quality isn't a big deal.....if you only use it one a year, a fiber glass rod and a basic generic reel should do just fine. 7' is good, but longer is better, 15-20lb test will do fine also

I am also a fan of buying cheap rods and reels from Thrift stores or Pawn shops and performing a little general maintenance on them that most people ignore and they are ready to go in no-time

Always rinse your tackle w/ freshwater after saltwater fishing too....saltwater causes corrosion

Last edited:

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I have no idea about jade Gobies and can't answer this, but I am actually not in NJ, just used to fish there.
IDK if they RENT rods and reels or not, but we used to use a combination of heavier saltwater tackle and light to heavy freshwater tackle as well. We were actually catching the Bluefish on Ultra-light Trout tackle w/ 4lb test for small streams LOLOLOOLOL

Mostly long-distance casting w/ the 7'-12' heavy rods lines and using smaller ones for closer to shore and lighter lures and smaller presentations, all the while we had several hand-lines and traps set for crabbing too

You can EASILY find a couple heavy duty Surf-casting rods at Wal-Mart for under $40 each, probably half that if quality isn't a big deal.....if you only use it one a year, a fiber glass rod and a basic generic reel should do just fine. 7' is good, but longer is better, 15-20lb test will do fine also

I am also a fan of buying heap rods and reels from Thrift stores or Pawn shops and performing a little general maintenance on them most people ignore and they are ready to go in no-time
thanks again. my uncle has been fishing off the shore in Ocean City NJ so I'm comfortable with that. A little nervous about the boat (don't ask why) but my son love boats. So figure start somwhere not too far out and go from there.

I extremely appreciate all the help you have given. If there's anything else you randomly think of please feel free to messge me.

Thanks again to everyone. I figure the best way to do it is find out what I can from the people that know what they are doing so that I don't teach him something wrong.

And if anyone knows any good NJ sites that would also be great.

Good night everyone.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
thanks again. my uncle has been fishing off the shore in Ocean City NJ so I'm comfortable with that. A little nervous about the boat (don't ask why) but my son love boats. So figure start somwhere not too far out and go from there.

I extremely appreciate all the help you have given. If there's anything else you randomly think of please feel free to messge me.

Thanks again to everyone. I figure the best way to do it is find out what I can from the people that know what they are doing so that I don't teach him something wrong.

And if anyone knows any good NJ sites that would also be great.

Good night everyone.
Just remember, there's a much different way to fish the BAY than you would fish the wide open Ocean......stick to the Bays if you are going to be using FW and lighter tackle. In the Ocean, the waves alone wwill wash your lines up on the beach in no-time if you don't have at least 10' rods to keep it above the breakers. The boat choice is up to you, and what you feel comfortable taking your child out in, remember lifejackets and safety first.

How old is your kid?

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
He is 6 years old. He loved it even though we caught nothing. Blamed me for no fish biting but if thats the worst that happens so be it. Maybe some day over the summer i can do the deep sea fishing if hey have the gear and then if he stlill has energy (which I'm sure I won't) he can go to the bay with his rod and reel and go from there. Just gotta do a little online research and read the forums.

It should be fun. I loved it when I was his age. Haven't had a chance since, but each time we go it's a great father son moment. Even when he isn't paying attention and his cast wraps around himself 6 times before hooking his shirt. Based on that it's a hat and sunglasses for him at all times no questions asked.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
He is 6 years old. He loved it even though we caught nothing. Blamed me for no fish biting but if thats the worst that happens so be it. Maybe some day over the summer i can do the deep sea fishing if hey have the gear and then if he stlill has energy (which I'm sure I won't) he can go to the bay with his rod and reel and go from there. Just gotta do a little online research and read the forums.

It should be fun. I loved it when I was his age. Haven't had a chance since, but each time we go it's a great father son moment. Even when he isn't paying attention and his cast wraps around himself 6 times before hooking his shirt. Based on that it's a hat and sunglasses for him at all times no questions asked.
no football pads? Yu may want to do the casting for him lol Getting hooked as a kid is traumatizing, especially big saltwater hooks, I know from experience. lololol

Or buy barbless hooks

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

you would have to hit lower Schuylkill-Deleware rivers, but you can also catch Ocean-sized fish in FW if you want......we have Flathead catfish and Striped bass that range from 50lbs- 125lbs. FW-tackle w/ some heavy braided line, some #1, 1/0 or 2/0 hooks and live baitfish fished a foot or so off the bottom will still get you monsters.

Got these bad boys a few weeks ago
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/fishing-season-2k16.659975/page-23

I find June/July to be the best months for quantity of large Flatheads, with October best for a REAL trophy, but not as many fish overall

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
no football pads? Yu may want to do the casting for him lol Getting hooked as a kid is traumatizing, especially big saltwater hooks, I know from experience. lololol

Or buy barbless hooks
for freshwater we switched to the push button casting. that worked must better. just have to remind him every once in a while it's about a smooth motion, not a full body cast at his age.

for salt water i'd cast for him and let him reel unless he gets something big.

though i won't lie. getting hooked once will make you think twice about doing it incorrectly. (similar to when he refused to wear a cup playing goalie in hockey....that arguement did not last long) but hat/sunglasses are a must in all cases. but especially if down the road he ever wnts to fly fish

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
for freshwater we switched to the push button casting. that worked must better. just have to remind him every once in a while it's about a smooth motion, not a full body cast at his age.

for salt water i'd cast for him and let him reel unless he gets something big.

though i won't lie. getting hooked once will make you think twice about doing it incorrectly. (similar to when he refused to wear a cup playing goalie in hockey....that arguement did not last long) but hat/sunglasses are a must in all cases. but especially if down the road he ever wnts to fly fish
LMAOOOOOooooooo!!!! I made that same mistake. Always wondered why I don't have any kids out there lololol might be why

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
As a lifetime MN Angler, that is completely incorrect about the wonton wasting of roughfish. In fact from my understanding it would be illegal to disregard fish remains on the shore. There would be no reason whatsoever to blatantly kill a "roughfish" other than invasive carp (Bighead, Silver, Grass).

I have heard several old timers cite this false sense of MN law as well. Please know that this is not current! (im unsure if it ever even was). I personally think killing "roughfish" like Buffalo, Redhorse, and Bowfin only helps to increase the numbers of common carp in most of the lakes and rivers in MN. If you are able to cite any source from the DNR regulations that demands or encourages the wonton waste of "roughfish" please go ahead ad post, I have looked several times and have never found any such notice.

I have only caught a few Bowfin in my life (never targeted them but found a few places im going to try) and they are an awesome fish, please don't waste them.
I would not be wasting them. Depending on size and law I would throw them back unless I find the perfect specimen. The two dreamfish that I have for my tanks are a bowfin and a south american lungfish. For months I have had tanks set up to take care of them, give them plenty of room, hiding spots, but best food for them to thrive and grow. I recall a long time ago when you could get fingerlings at the bait shop but that doesn't happen anymore. I don't even kill the fish to eat. I am just bringing my son out who just started picking up fishing (and watching river monsters) and I want to give him a chance to see the fish up close and to treat them as they deserve to be treated.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store