MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Flash zebra is, first and foremost, in the eyes of the beholder. When discussing this at great length several years ago, it was proven quite soundly that there is no consensus among the community as to what a flash is beyond simply a particularly attractive juruense.

That being said, this little guy displays a pattern that could be described as more of a speckling or spangling than the typical stripes that we see on very young jurs. It also has a very unusual amount of the lighter coloring. All of these characteristics are things that people normally point to on a 2' fish that they feel qualify as an exceptional enough specimen to be labeled a flash zebra.

Though, when we come to the end of it, any jur grown out long enough will develop flash zebra colors. The lighter parts of the pattern on a jur are the base color, and like many other fishes, will fade as they get larger, thereby improving the overall appearance of the fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Due to ignorance, I cannot debate Chix' thinking but it does not stop me from admiring the depth he delves into it.

The thought alone that the light color could be the base color and the stripes are dark was a revelation to me back in 2013 or so when we were discussing it... so much that he needed to remind me of it ~annually from there...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Looks more and more like a juruense but the pattern should be interesting.

Reactions: jancibie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store