Brackish Bacteria?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Hello all,

I have been battling a columnaris infection (or so I believe) for over a year now in my planted 125g. I have tried Polyguard (nitrofurantoin, malachite green and sulfathiazole) both in the water and in feed, kanamycin flakes, kanamycin in the water, and oxytetracycline flakes. Some of them knock the infection back for a bit, but it seems to come back every couple of months.

Symptoms: Congo tetras sometimes have a white patch on the flank, sometimes have clouding in the pupil, and I lost my male chocolate cichlid and recently my large altum angel to "duck lips".

I fear that moving the fish out, treating them in hospital tanks, and returning them to the main tank will only help temporarily. I want to completely wipe this infection from my fish and the tank, so I have slowly been increasing the salinity. I am fully expecting this to wipe out my plants, which is fine as long as I kill the infection.

However, I have been told that around 3ppt salinity the freshwater beneficial bacteria start to die. I plan to go up to at least 6ppt and as high as 10ppt to kill the infection. 10ppt would probably only be for a few hours as an in-tank bath.

So my question is: can I dose a "bacteria in a bottle" product to fight ammonia spikes? Do they make one for brackish systems? Will a marine one such as Biospira work?

Thanks guys, I have reached my last resort. Best of luck to my remaining altum and my large clown loach. The others should handle some salt just fine.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Aquanero Aquanero

Reactions: tlindsey

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
if you are currently having ammonia spikes I fear something is off and that might be the real culprit to your problem.

Also regardless of what bacteria you are fighting i fear you are most likely dealing with strong resistance after treating with all of these :polyguard (nitrofurantoin, malachite green and sulfathiazole) both in the water and in feed, kanamycin flakes, kanamycin in the water, and oxytetracycline flakes.

Though I am still very curious about the ammonia spkes

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
if you are currently having ammonia spikes I fear something is off and that might be the real culprit to your problem.

Also regardless of what bacteria you are fighting i fear you are most likely dealing with strong resistance after treating with all of these :polyguard (nitrofurantoin, malachite green and sulfathiazole) both in the water and in feed, kanamycin flakes, kanamycin in the water, and oxytetracycline flakes.

Though I am still very curious about the ammonia spkes
I'm not having ammonia spikes, just anticipating them from killing my BB with salt. I am looking for a product or recommendation for providing BB at these salinities.

But yeah it seems to be a super bug, which my antibiotic bombs probably didn't help. That's why I want to eliminate it from my tank. I can't have this thing running through all of my tanks, and I don't feel comfortable selling fish or plants from the infected tank. Not to mention the risk of mortality in the inhabitants!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store