Brand new to cichlids please tell me if my tank setup/hardscape is okay...

FlanBurberry

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2015
Millbrook, NY
Hi, this is my first time keeping any sort of cichlid, although I have plenty of other tanks running. I tried to read as much as I could and use the resources I had. All fish seem to be enjoying the setup, not much agression, as I've counted over 50 definite caves/tunnels and currently only 12 fish. It's a 75gal tank.2015-11-01 15.08.48.jpg 2015-11-01 15.06.24.jpg 2015-11-01 15.07.53.jpg Is there too much open space or will that be good to have as they grow? I wasn't looking to do an exact biotope, but something that would make my mostly malawi fish thrive. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

FlanBurberry

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2015
Millbrook, NY
This was also my first post on these forums, so if I should have posted this in another area, I apologize... Also, another question I have is with the use uf airstones. I have read conflicting views everywhere. I currently have 2 running along the back but can shut one off or slow each down if necessary? Thanks.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
It looks nice, plenty of hiding spots from the looks of it. The air stones are s personal preference, I've never run one in my tanks.

Reactions: FlanBurberry

epsteino

Feeder Fish
Nov 1, 2015
Looks Nice. I would paint the back black. Would hide equipment and looks better than plain glass when algae grows on it. As long as you don't have plants that they will eat in there, They should survive. Perhaps they are fake plants?

FlanBurberry

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2015
Millbrook, NY
Cool, thanks for the replies!! I definitely want to paint the back, wasn't sure if I wanted to do black or blue, but I was leaning towards black. Yes all of the plants in there are artificial "hemp" plants lol :D

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The layout looks nice.It's the kind of look that I would go for if I were to do an African tank.

pagdenjohn@

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2015
very nice set up, I would go with the black background it will really make the colours pop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store