Breeding and maintaining mealworms

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Sarah88;3945781; said:
Awesome, yeah i was thinking about breeding some mealworms for my fish (and future turtle) but wasnt sure how to go about it so this thread DEFINITELY helped, though id like to be able to only have one small tub with only a few beetles breeding, does anyone have experience with breeding them and keeping mealies in same container with just deeper substrate?
Thanks. It seems that it can be done. Just keep 4-6 inches of subtrate, the beetles will stay on topp-ish and the mealworms will bury abit and usually the smaller ones will stay on the bottom. Here's another link that will help with your question. Post #118 and the next page will help.:D
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=15216

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
u should sell ur worms to tackle stores or local anglers great bait. tackle stores usualy sell them for 2 bucks per 20 or so, and if u sell to them u can get a dollar for 20 ild think but anyway good luck making profit :D

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
szymon328;3955211; said:
u should sell ur worms to tackle stores or local anglers great bait. tackle stores usualy sell them for 2 bucks per 20 or so, and if u sell to them u can get a dollar for 20 ild think but anyway good luck making profit :D
Thanks alot. I would love to get more containers going and such I just have no money. I would totally spend a couple hundred bucks to get this going if I had the money.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Some heads have been literally ripped off of the beetles. I'm thinking they need more space to crawl/hide. I'm assuming the males are getting all hot headed and killing each other. I'm going to put some cut up canvas sheets in it so they can crawl around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store