Breeding oscars

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
i have 5 oscars in a 80gal tank. 1 albino red(6inches) 3 red (all 8-9inches) and a tiger(about11-12inches) I have two pairs, one is 2 reds and the other a tiger and a red. The tiger and the red are the dominent pair. they have laid eggs 4 times already but never had even one hatch, they lay around 1500 eggs each time. twice the spawned in the 80gal and each time they ate the eggs. the third time i put them in their very own 35-40gal and a day later they spawned and laid about 2000 eggs. 2 days later all eaten. :swear:

why are they doing this? I doo notice that their courtship is very rough and then once the eggs are laid they become very abusive toward eachother. on the fourth round in the 40gal, i removed the male and nada, the ho ate all the eggs again. what is a fishkepper to do???? :feedback:

the red pair laid eggs once in the main tank and not again and they.....yes u guessed it....ate the eggs tooo. :mad:

my parameters are excellent in my tank as i have good filtration and circulation. and i also have a good routine and also the lighting is not too bright as i read and have noticed oscars prefer that.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
DO what repair said, I would also get rid of every oscar except the pair. An 80g is not large enough for all those fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store