Breeding question

Ripdevil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
DMV
Hey
My tank has four fish, electric blue acara (mature male), geophagus atrifons (presumed male) and a juvi Vieja Gutt. And I just added an adult female blood red parrot female.

She just laid her second batch of eggs, the first went infertile.

The thing is that I don't see any of the fish looking to fertilize and she seems to push all of the other fish away from the eggs. Do I need to find a male that she is compatible with? Will one of the males learn what to do?

I have never successfully bred fish but would love to get the blue acara to fertilize the eggs, I think that could be a cool hybrid.

Best

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Are you saying that you want the Blue Acara to fertilize the Blood red parrot eggs????

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
neither geo or acara will breed, the vieja could tho. some people frown upon hybrids. throw a pair of convicts in they will breed like rabbits!-)

Reactions: black belt lover

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
neither geo or acara will breed, the vieja could tho. some people frown upon hybrids. throw a pair of convicts in they will breed like rabbits!-)
I smile at hybrids lol but yeah vieja and blood parrot will make some interesting babies

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yeah of your listed fish only the Vieja can breed with the parrot. As a juvie tho chances are that it might be a bit young? Find an adult male central american cichlid, and it should work out.
Get a male flowerhorn with a huge kok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store