Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

breeding snakeheads.

Discussion in 'Snakehead' started by boredcpl, Nov 27, 2005.

1. boredcpl

boredcpl MFK Members

Feb 6, 2008
      does anyone have any suggestions on breeding snakeheads? someone i know has 2 red snakeheads they are trying to breed with no luck... they are in a monster tank about 300 gallons or more bow front tank.. they have an undergravel filter with 3 or more powerheads on top. they have a big cave to hide in and some plants floating around... water quality is tip top shape and cleaned daily if needed. any info will be appreciated and passed on to them.. thank you.

2. e!o!z!

e!o!z! MFK Members

Apr 10, 2011
      I am sure someone here can help.

3. Timmy

Timmy MFK Members

Jul 3, 2015
      To my knowledge no one has breed reds in the home size tank. If the tank only has an undergravle filter that could also be a problem, as they dont really filter...

4. boredcpl

boredcpl MFK Members

Feb 6, 2008
      this tank is in a fish store... they mainly use undergravel filters.. they have a main filter system through out the store but i dont think that tank is filtered... the water quility looks great.. and id say the water is the way they want it.. ph and hardness and stuff. but im wondering what ph they like and what they would need in the tank to help them feel comfortable to breed.. like plants and rocks.. any of you breeding these monsters let me know your tank setup.. gallons and ph level and so on. thanks for the replys so far.

5. ashdavid

ashdavid MFK Members

Sep 25, 2014
      UGF are great biological filters, this statement is very misguided.

As for breeding snakeheads, are you sure they are not the same sex? Also what are their sizes? Is there any cover for them to retreat to?

6. boredcpl

boredcpl MFK Members

Feb 6, 2008
      sexes i dont know.. i dont know how to tell.. the fish store is very knowledgeable.. they breed piranhas and angels and many other fish.. but they have been trying to breed these for some time now..how can you tell the differents in sexes.. the fish are about a foot and a half long.. they have plants floating in the tank for cover.. they have a cave but it looks to small for them to go into..

7. ashdavid

ashdavid MFK Members

Sep 25, 2014
      It would be very hard to tell what sex they are at that small, not only that I doubt that they are able to breed at that size. I have heard that they are able to breed once they reach an age of about 3 to 4 years and, and usually at that age they should be well over 2' in lenght. Plus they are going to need a bigger tank IMO. To sex them the fish must be anaesthetised and then the sex organs must be checked, being there are small differences in the placement of the sexual organs on the male and females. At the presant time there are no other known ways to sex a snakehead to my knowledge.

8. boredcpl

boredcpl MFK Members

Feb 6, 2008
      they are really big and they have been there awhile.. they upgraded the tank to a bigger tank not to long ago.. but the tank still dont look big enough for them to swim freely.. thanks for the info.. if they have any progress i will let you know.. and next time im there i will get better specs on tank and water.. right now im just guessing the tank..

9. suckerfish

suckerfish MFK Members

Monday at 11:24 PM
      i would suggest removing powerheads and add alot of "planted" plants. they should rip them up and make a nest at the surface, hence i think the power heads will destroy the nest---maybe that's preventing them from finishing the deal. oh and put the tank somewhere that doesn't have much people traffic. you'd be surprized what channa will do when there aren't tons of people walking around and looking at them

10. boredcpl

boredcpl MFK Members

Feb 6, 2008
      thats what i suggested.. they said they dont have a place to put the tank in hiding.. i told them if anything put it in a corner and rope it off so there wasnt much traffic around it.