Breeding super red texas

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
I have decided that I would like to try doing a SRT breeding project. I have plenty of water, money, and luck, but don't know exactly how to go about doing it. I have read that you can use a KKP female and a Texas male. I have also read a couple other ways to do it including line breeding best offspring back to father etc. Can someone here maybe point me in the right direction. In the mean time I will continue searching.Thanks in advance.

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
there is kkp x texas i would start with the nicest of the two you can find, there is also red texas female to carpintis.

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
Mike fail;2719496; said:
there is kkp x texas i would start with the nicest of the two you can find, there is also red texas female to carpintis.
My plan is to start by growing out 15 KKP and 15 texas then cull out the ugly ones and wrong sexes. But I want to know I am going in the right direction before I invest the money and time. And by red texas female to carpintis do you mean red texas female X texas male? Would that be a better way to go? I am planning on buying one anyway, I could make sure it is female.

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
xiahaolong168;2719747; said:
if you have a lot of money, buy a fertile male and fertile female srt... then you get srt!
I didn't know that would work, that's why I posted here to get ideas before I start the project. It seems to me that it can't be that easy though, otherwise more people would be doing it and price would not be so high.

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
its hard to find a fertile srt male

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
I'm currently going through the same process. my male srt and my carpintis have laid once already, but then gobbled them up. I am just in the process of figuring out if it's fertile. If it is I'll grab myself a fetile female and badabing. If he isnt fertile, then I sell him and move onto another male...Or If I could find an already proven male, that would be awesome. But not probable.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189428

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
Thats a really nice fish you got. Good luck and hope it works out.
I have been thinking about this for 2 days and have come up with this.
The fading gene has to come from the parrot fish (start out green then turn red/orange). As far as I know, texas cichlids don't carry the fading gene naturally, So if you breed a male texas with a KKP, you would get offspring that carried the gene, but NONE would show it. It seems that you would then have to breed the offspring back to the mother, or any other KKP for that matter, in order to get up to 50% of the offspring with the fading gene from both parents. Sounds easy so far, but I think the problem is that male parrots and their offspring are sterile. In order to pull it off the way I have come up with, one of the male offspring has to be fertile in order to breed back. So I think it probly takes many generations before you can find a fertile male.Then after you do find a fertile male, he may not be very nice looking or may not produce good offspring so then you start over. By the way, I came up with all of this on my own and none of it may be right. But it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Someone with some knowledge please step in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store