Breeding the Fathead minnow (rosy red)

Gearhead

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
In the garage
For best breeding, keep them cool and use an oversized filter. They like to lay their eggs on rocks or underneith lily pads, so keep plenty of caves for them. You can keep about 5 or 6 per 10 gallon tank. I feed mine crushed cichlid pellets and flake food.

anarchir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks for this info! I am sure it will come in handy. I'm gonna attempt to breed some for my Snapping Turtle, he does love them so. Also, they are so much better for him than goldfish I bet. I am still trying to stick to a more natural diet if I can for him.

dcorreia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
I had about 30 in an outdoor 300 gallon pond. At any one time it only seemed like 1-3 pairs were spawning( 3 at most) . I was surprised at how agressive they get while spawning. These little minnows where chasing my goldfish that were 3-4 times their size all around the pond. They are actually really cool fish to watch. One thing I noticed was I bought 30 Rosy Reds and after about 2 months the fish lost their white/pink color and turned grayish/brown like a reg flathead. Not sure why, I thought that was weird.

Rainman246

Feeder Fish
Dec 10, 2011
United States
Your article said that the minnows are hardy where toxins are concerned. What about diseases, ich specifically, I bought a dozen and lost 4 within a few days before treating the water.

albertjavieraguilar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2011
iowa
I have7 fatheads with 7 goldfish in a 20 gal tank. I have had the fatheads for 7 months, i don't filter the water or do water changes but it is heavily planted. None of my fish have died but 1 fathead has had trouble breathing, loss weight and sits on the bottom. I thought he would have died 4 weeks back but he is still alive for now. So I would say the are hardy. BTW I don't heat up my apartment and the water fluctuates from 75 to 58 (presently).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store