Bristlenose fry

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Hi, this is my first time spawning plecos so i am new to this and have many questions.
I have a 29 gallon with 2 male brislenose plecos, 3 female brislenose plecos, and 2 silver angle fish. (the plecos are about 4 inches). There are 3 slate caves in there and it is 78 dergrees farenhight.
The day before yesterday when i got home there was a pleco that was wedged in a cave and would not come out to eat. I shined a flashlight into the cave and there was 75 eggs and a pleco in the cave. I put the cave with the male pleco and eggs, in a box floating in the tank late last night and when i woke up today the box (because of the slate cave) has sunk, so i took the box out and put the cave back where it was. After school i shined a flashlight in the cave and saw empty eggshells, and some eggs that had not hatched yet.
Should i take the eggs out of the cave so when they leave the cave the other plecos don't eat them or should i just let them be? Thanks

Garshark

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2012
Ohio
Leave the fish alone. By moving the cave with the eggs and male your adding stress. Just leave the cave where it is and let the male do its job of fanning the eggs. Some of the fry might be bothered by the angle fish

Reactions: Rob909

Pacmule

Feeder Fish
Jun 4, 2019
I have a breeding pair of Plecos and dad is in the cave fanning but there was also a clump of eggs outside the cave. Can these be hatched if placed in a hospital near the pump output flow to mimic fanning? Thanks

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I have a breeding pair of Plecos and dad is in the cave fanning but there was also a clump of eggs outside the cave. Can these be hatched if placed in a hospital near the pump output flow to mimic fanning? Thanks
If eggs fall out of the cave and are still healthy, you can place them in an egg tumbler. I made mine from an air line and a scrap syphon tube. (The wider end)
There are tons of videos online on how to make them.
Hi, this is my first time spawning plecos so i am new to this and have many questions.
I have a 29 gallon with 2 male brislenose plecos, 3 female brislenose plecos, and 2 silver angle fish. (the plecos are about 4 inches). There are 3 slate caves in there and it is 78 dergrees farenhight.
The day before yesterday when i got home there was a pleco that was wedged in a cave and would not come out to eat. I shined a flashlight into the cave and there was 75 eggs and a pleco in the cave. I put the cave with the male pleco and eggs, in a box floating in the tank late last night and when i woke up today the box (because of the slate cave) has sunk, so i took the box out and put the cave back where it was. After school i shined a flashlight in the cave and saw empty eggshells, and some eggs that had not hatched yet.
Should i take the eggs out of the cave so when they leave the cave the other plecos don't eat them or should i just let them be? Thanks
Definitely leave the eggs and caves in place. Keep an eye on the angels though as stated above. I lost a batch of eggs to a parrot/convict hybrid. If you MUST remove the eggs, go the route of the tumbler. But I’d say let the male get the experience taking care of his own young. He’ll get better with every spawn. My male’s first spawn got kicked out of the cave and I had to put them in the tumbler.

Reactions: tlindsey

Pacmule

Feeder Fish
Jun 4, 2019
If eggs fall out of the cave and are still healthy, you can place them in an egg tumbler. I made mine from an air line and a scrap syphon tube. (The wider end)
There are tons of videos online on how to make them.

Definitely leave the eggs and caves in place. Keep an eye on the angels though as stated above. I lost a batch of eggs to a parrot/convict hybrid. If you MUST remove the eggs, go the route of the tumbler. But I’d say let the male get the experience taking care of his own young. He’ll get better with every spawn. My male’s first spawn got kicked out of the cave and I had to put them in the tumbler.
Thanks! I did find a couple videos and from what i learned i'm guessing this clutch IS viable (they are yellow/orange not white) This pair has breed successfully many times and just curious as to why some clutches stay in the cave while this and one other didn't? Should I add a manmade cave

Reactions: Zanzag

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
What kind of cave does it have now? Try something tight and narrow. I use the ceramic plant watering stakes. Just rinse off and place in the tank. They’re safe for the aquarium and come cheap in a box of 4.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Buy yourself some of the terra cotta watering spikes for your plecos. Last time I checked they were like ten bucks for four on Amazon. They are closed ended so easy for the male to guard. My albinos are on their fifth or sixth spawning and my male keeps everything out, even snails.

BN plecos do not eat baby plecos but those angles will. If you keep an eye on the eggs you can remove them when they hatch to reduce the chance of fungus. The male will try to keep the fry inside for as long as he can, usually about two weeks it seems. Some of the more advanced fry will slip past my male earlier that that. These fish are terrific because they are so low maintenance.

Pacmule

Feeder Fish
Jun 4, 2019
What kind of cave does it have now? Try something tight and narrow. I use the ceramic plant watering stakes. Just rinse off and place in the tank. They’re safe for the aquarium and come cheap in a box of 4.
Dad made a cave under some decorative large rocks by cleaning out all the small pebbles from the tank floor and he has been successful with 4 or 5 clutches raised so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store